MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-08-2005, 12:03 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Default Calling all rear end experts - Please Read

I have a 93 GT that I bought with no motor and tranny, and over the last 5 years I've ran through the entire car with the exception of the rear-end. This car was running 9 Sec ET's with the previos owner (who I cannot contact anymore), and does not have anything close to a stock rear end. Lately I've been hearing a little ticking noise coming from my drivers side rear brakes (or so I thought it was the brakes). I looked at the rear end and the girdle looked "moist", so I figured I'd change the gasket and the fluid (since I haven't done any maintenance on it). I also figured I'd take a look at the rear brakes and change if necessary. When I took the drum cover off to investigate into whether or not my brakes needed to be replaced I noticed a small bit of moisture that accumulated inside the drum cover, and it looked like a little bit of gear oil. I just got this car painted and don't want to risk injury of damage to my car by racing it in this condition. The problem is I don't know exactly what type of rear end I have. I know it's not a 9" Ford, so I do know that it's an 8.8". The lug bolts are much longer than the stock rear, and it is not a limited-slip diff. It's certainly a heav duty unit that is far from stock. The local drag strip is holding annual Ford Day on the 16th and I want to be ready for it. Can anyone please help me figure out what type of rear this is so I can try to contact the manufacturer and understand where I can get a gasket and how to replace this seal? I'll post pics if necessary!
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:44 PM   #2
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: Calling all rear end experts - Please Read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_ROTY
I'll post pics if necessary!
I doubt anybody is going to be able to help you without pics, or at least some more specific information.

Rod
Under Construction: 64 Falcon 372 cu in. stroker 1:72 rod ratio 6.250" rods (long rod), Comp Cams XE274 230/236 520/526 @ .050, Scorpion Rollers, Roush 200 irons, 10:1 Keith Blacks, Hedman long tubes, 750 Holley DP, Edelbrock Victor Jr., C4 3500 stall, gears and tires to be anounced.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 12:55 PM   #3
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

Just a GUESS on my part. Sounds like a stock 8.8 housing with c-clip eliminators, and either a spool or an Auburn (or similar) diff.

Definitely need some pics to point you in the right direction. Axle manufacturer? Strange? Mosier? etc etc. Take a pic of the backing plate with the drum removed so we can see what you're playin with.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 06:15 PM   #4
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Default Re: Calling all rear end experts

OK Here are some pics. I'm not ready to take the cover off at this point or else I'd show those as well...does this help at all? Does the "TA" on that cover help determine what brand the rear is?
Engine is a 1969 351 block w/393 stroker kit. Dynamic Roller Myte C4, 8 pt cage. Edlebrock Performer heads and Victor Jr. EFI, FRPP 30lb injectors & Cartech fuel system. MSD ignition. Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, adj. upper's, 3.73's, Koni rear shocks, much more

Last edited by Stang_ROTY; 06-08-2005 at 09:20 PM..
Old 06-08-2005, 11:28 PM   #5
HotRoddin
cranky old man

Default Re: Calling all rear end experts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stang_ROTY
Does the "TA" on that cover help determine what brand the rear is?
The girdle is TA performance http://www.taperformance.com/ but that doesn't tell you what gears, or axles you have .... I imagine if it's just the gasket you're after, that it's probably just a stock rear housing gasket.

Rod
Under Construction: 64 Falcon 372 cu in. stroker 1:72 rod ratio 6.250" rods (long rod), Comp Cams XE274 230/236 520/526 @ .050, Scorpion Rollers, Roush 200 irons, 10:1 Keith Blacks, Hedman long tubes, 750 Holley DP, Edelbrock Victor Jr., C4 3500 stall, gears and tires to be anounced.
HotRoddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 06:25 AM   #6
~The Jester~
Rat Killer

That's a stock 8.8 housing, it does have aftermarket control arms on her though.

If you're looking for the gasket on the end of the axle tube, need to know who built the axles, or c-clip eliminators (if it has them, which I'm guessing it does.) If you're looking for the rear cover gasket, a stocker will do just fine.

MICE need not apply.....

~The Jester~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2005, 01:55 PM   #7
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Thanks a bunch guys.....that helps!