MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-26-2001, 10:36 PM   #1
Big Bopper
Registered Member

Angry Overheating Problems...Please Help!!

My mustang is overheating bad! Last night the heater core went so I bypassed it...To make it to the parts store..Still overheating!! Bought a new thermostat put it in no change still overheating!!!! HELP its driving me nuts!!!
Big Bopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 11:46 PM   #2
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

what stat did you use??? should have used a 180*
if your radiator is bad..stat will do nothing.
try using redlines "water wetter" also

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com

11's coming soon!!!!
Heads,intake and cam are all here
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 03:39 AM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

You need to give a little more info.

Check the water pump weep holes which are at the top and bottom of the pump behind the pulley. If they are leaking you have a bad pump or maybe your thermostat isn't seated properly in the housing.

Did you install the thermostat the right way? If it's backwards then that could be the problem =P

Is your coolant running out of the overflow tank? If so check to make sure the tube that runs to the overflow isn't pinched. That would cause it not to be able to get back into the radiator when it cools down thus causing the bottle to keep getting filled until it runs over.

Do you see hard water build up inside the radiator when you look into the filler neck? If so get a new radiator (recommended anyway if it's very old). Pep Boys has a heavy duty radiator for around $100 which works great for me.

Is there signs of oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil (milky brown colored substance)? If so, I'm sorry to say you either have a cracked or warped head or a blown head or intake gasket. Either way you have some work ahead of you.

What kind of fan are you running? If it's an original clutch fan does the clutch feel like it still has some friction left in it? Auto Zone has electric fans pretty cheap. I got the largest one they had and have no problems with it even in stop and go traffic. Cost me $65.

Do you see any noticable leaks?

------------------
Too much to list. Best ET on the car so far with stock 2.73 gears - 13.73@102mph

Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2001, 09:58 PM   #4
Big Bopper
Registered Member

Thanks guys!! Good tips I'll try those things out... I put the stat in the correct way... I've done it so many times.... Whats "Redlines water wetter" ???...My water pump is fairly new and there is no seepage out of those little grub screws....I used a 180 Deg stat...Coolant is leaking out of the overflow tank but my hose is not kinked...No coolant in the oil thank GOD....Rad is O.K. not great but no leaks... could it have a blockage??? The old clutch fan works good still but it's getting replaced soon... I'm baffled....can't figure this one out, it seems so simple... Thanks for all the help guys!!! Any more advice would be great! Thanks again...
Big Bopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 12:09 AM   #5
vande97
Registered Member

well i am having the same problems, i changed the pump, fluid,and stat, the stat is a 160 and now insted of the car running around 160 it runs around 185 190. weird huh!
vande97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2001, 01:46 AM   #6
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I would try either flushing the radiator with Muriatic acid or buy a new one. The acid is a cheap try though and can work if it's a minor blockage. There's nothing like a new radiator though.

But, a friend and myself just went through the same problem and it was internal

Kepp a close eye on your oil and coolant levels and check for oil and coolant mixing often.

------------------
Too much to list. Best ET on the car so far with stock 2.73 gears - 13.73@102mph

Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: