MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-04-2001, 03:09 AM   #1
SPEEDY88
Registered Member

Angry overheating problems!!!!

hey guys, I have replaced the water pump, thermostat to 160 degrees, i have flushed the radiator, new hoses, new temp sensor, new temp switch....What else can it be????? I am getting tired of this. Please help me.

------------------
88GT-Bassani X-pipe,Two chamber flowmasters,3:73 gears, King Cobra clutch, Steeda clutch quadrant, pro 5.0, K&N, Hypertech chip, Underdrive Pulleys,High Volume oil pump....ALL POWERED BY MY FOOT!!!
SPEEDY88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 01:30 PM   #2
USMC302
Registered Member

It is possible that your underdrive pullies are not turning the waterpump fast enough, try reinstalling the stock pully and see if that makes a difference.

------------------
88LX NOTCH, 88GT, 95 GT.
USMC302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 01:48 PM   #3
blue00gt
Mustang Addict

If all the components of your cooling system are new and functioning and the car still overheats, that could be an indication that the motor is just producing too much heat. How is it running? If it runs too lean it could cause it to overheat.
Does it tend to overheat when you are idling or even when you are driving along?
blue00gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2001, 02:56 PM   #4
A Wild Neg
Registered Member

SPEEDY88:

I tell you what, my car was not really overheating, but was running at 200 degrees and if I stopped, would jump up and get really hot. Once running, would loose power and this and that. Well, someone told me to try a restrictor. Someone else said to try a 160 thermastat, so I went and bought both. I tried the restrictor first, and used the mid size (3/4" hole) and I went from 200 to 160. And when I idle? It actually goes down a little. Never up. It's amazing. When I first put it in, I let the car sit and warm up. My therm never moved! I thought I broke it or something. So I let it run for 30 minutes, waisting gas like nothing, and well, it finally moved to 140. I was shocked. So I drove it around the block a few million times beating it, squeeling, and it only went to 160 and never went any higher. I drove it on a warmer day and it went up to 170, but really stayed cool! I can drive this puppy anywhere now! And I keep MOST of my horsepower now. I loose a little power but thats ok. I'm working on that rest of the heat make it run even cooler (Storm'n Norm'n Hood & Ram Air for cooler air).

All these restrictors are, is a simple replacement for your thermastat. It doenst' open, its always open. Allowing cirulcation. The difference is between this and no thermastat, is it closes the hole the thermastat fits in, to keep the water in the radiator longer to let off the heat. Works great! Only problem is, you won't realy have functional heat. Thats what the thermastat is really for. To keep the water in your block to heat up so you hav eheat right away. This sorta knocks that idea out by trying to keep your car cool alllll the time!

Seriously try this out and let me know. If you can't find the part at your local auto store, let met know. I can buy a set here and ship them off. They really do work! 40 degrees I dropped, 30 on a hot day! And it doesn't over heat sitting. It actually stays the same or lowers a bit. Good luck!

- Kevin (A Wild Neg)
A Wild Neg is offline   Reply With Quote