MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-10-2001, 04:24 PM   #1
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Post PAXTONS

I just bought a Used SN-89. It is yet to arrive... Any comments?

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS Heads, Edelbrock intake, E-303, 3.73's, 1 5/8 shorty headers, Offroad-Hpipe, 2chamber flows, 36psi FPR, playing with timing still, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, K/N, March Crank pulley, MSD6a, 9mm wires and FMS Aluminum driveshaft.
Best ET 13.2@106mph Needs tuning...
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 04:49 PM   #2
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

sn-89..how much did you pay for that??how old is it??i think your ganna run into problems with your timing dilema..it should be a breeze to install cuz its self contained

------------------
1987 black notch(ex 4 banger)
DSS 306 w/ main support...Elderbrock 6028 heads..gt-40 intake..24# injectors...70 mm tb..77 pro-m...accel 300+..mac full legnth..tremec w/ pro5oh...full MAC exhaust,off road h-pipe,long tubes, catback...ron davis radiator..subframes, control arms...CFDF II..o yea holley FPR sucks..dont buy one..
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2001, 06:07 PM   #3
exgmguy
Registered Member

Sweet! That blower is limited to around 9 lbs of boost, but that is just fine for a street car.

What did you pay for it? I got my S-trim for 900.00. I had to buy the mounting brackets, crank pulley, and a couple of hoses.

It quickly turned into a 1500.00 used blower.
I still have to get some 42 lb injectors and a custom chip. (no FMU, boost retard, etc..)
exgmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 12:48 AM   #4
Skyman
I need 110mph Trap Speed!

Wow, thats cheap for your S-trim. How used was it? Mine is complete except for the Pulley. So I am going to buy the 9psi Pulley. That is plenty of boost for me on the street. Im going to goto swanson performance and get a custom chip done to do the fuel and timing. It comes with an FMU, but I may just do larger injectors. We'll see what they recommend.

What I am shooting for is 400hp at the crank... is this realistic?

Skyler

------------------
-1989 Saleen Mustang #406-
TFS Heads, Edelbrock intake, E-303, 3.73's, 1 5/8 shorty headers, Offroad-Hpipe, 2chamber flows, 36psi FPR, playing with timing still, 70mm tb, 73mm maf, 24lb injectors, K/N, March Crank pulley, MSD6a, 9mm wires and FMS Aluminum driveshaft.
Best ET 13.2@106mph Needs tuning...
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2001, 03:28 AM   #5
Mustanguy

Cool

Sky:

I've got a ball-drive Paxton GSS blower myself and have had no problems.Where people do run into problems,is when they don't change the fluid in the compressor itself on a regular basis.The fluid that came with my kit,when it was bought new was,Type F transmission fluid.

You need to find out what fluid they were using in the compressor and use the same type of fluid Many people who switch fluids have problems with bearing failure,so use the same fluid as the previous owner used.Also when increasing boost to the 8-9lb range with these it is mandatory to get a oil cooler to help keep the compressor cooler with these boost levels.

I myself am running only 6lbs of boost but will be increasing it to 8-9lbs with a oil cooler during this winter.

------------------
Paxton Blown 87GT
Old 01-11-2001, 07:27 PM   #6
SisuStang

Actually, you should only use Ford Type F trans fluid (like Mustanguy said) or the Paxtatrac fluid that Paxton sells (expensive).
The Ford Type F doesn't have friction modifiers in it like mercron or dexron does.

Again, like Mustanguy says, another good idea is to get an oil cooler for the blower. It replaces the dipstick of the blower with a tube that draws the oil out & it goes thru a pump & then a cooler & then back thru the tube into the blower. Those blowers can run hot on the street & cooling them prolongs the life of the bearings, etc.

As far as I know, Paxton is the only one that sells the cooler, though (again - expensive!)

Good luck & let us know how you make out!

------------------
91 coupe
3.73's,long tubes,2 1/2" exh,ported stock t-body,ProM-77mm
cobra intake,edelbrock heads,B303,1.72 rr's
36lb inj's,tremec, & a Paxton NOVI 2000!!!
11.020 @128.95 on BFG Drag Radials (275/60/15)

[This message has been edited by SisuStang (edited 01-11-2001).]

[This message has been edited by SisuStang (edited 01-11-2001).]