MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-27-2002, 11:48 AM   #1
Agent_4573
Registered Member

Default C&L Mass air question and compression results & question.

Ok, so i got a C&L 76mm mass air system and I was just courious about something. How do you make the 76mm rubber connector fit onto a 65mm throttle body. It just seems kinda hard to fit something that small into something that big and not have a leak. Also i did a compression test to see if i had a bad cylinder on the left side cuz the left side o2 sensor was completely black when i switched out the exhaust and the left exhaust still smokes a little. Here are the results.
Cylinder 1: 125
Cylinder 2: 130
Cylinder 3: 130
Cylinder 4: 125
Cylinder 5: 125
Cylinder 6: 125
Cylinder 7: 125
Cylinder 8: 120

This was with turning the engine over only 3 times instead of 5 like i saw on here before, but the guy i had help me has been a mechanic for a while and he said you only need 3. I ran a thing of injector cleaner threw it not to long ago but I'll do that again to see if its a dirty injector. Besides that, what would be causing the left bank to run rich like this?(by left bank i mean cylinders 5-8) None of the spark are fouled. Ok so to get to the point, how do you fit the C&L mass air and inlet tube onto a 65mm throttle body and is it safe to put a 75 shot of nitrous on an engine with these compression results?
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

RICER HATERS CLUB MEMBER 87!
www.ricehatersclub.com
Agent_4573 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 12:28 PM   #2
Agent_4573
Registered Member

Also, I bought the mass air unit used and it didn't come with the install instructions. If someone has a link to them or could type them up i would be very appreciative. I'm not sure if this is a plug and go thing or if more is required than just hooking it up. thanks.
'89 LX 5.0, off-road h pipe, flowmaster muffs, underdrive pulleys, rebuilt WC T-5, King Cobra Clutch, 65mm throttle body, Explorer Upper/GT40 lower, Lakewood Rear Lift Bars. 76mm C&L Mass air w/ inlet pipe, Twisted wedge heads w/ stage 2 port,polish, MAC equal length shorties, Billet AFPR, 255LPH fuel pump, fresh low end w/ 10.5:1 compression.

If anyone ever wants to go to Raceway Park in Englishtown New Jersey, give me a shout.

www.ricehatersclub.com
Old 07-27-2002, 06:29 PM   #3
lx mike
Undescribable

you have to swap out the eletronics from thes tock mas air unit in the c&l and then alot of cussing to get that rubber over the throttle body. I have the c&l 76 kit and a 65mm throttle body and it fits tight! i don't have the instructiosn but maybe someone else here might. I know venumus93 has the c&l maybe he still has the directions.
Rice Haters Club Member #101
lx mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2002, 09:38 PM   #4
Agent_4573
Registered Member

Default hmm

Well something aint right then. You said that the fit is really tight around the throttle body but i don't see how that is possible. The part of the inlet pipe that goes to the thottle body is 76mm around or across or whatever. The throttle body is only 65mm. That leaves 11mm of extra space from the inlet tube to the throttle body. Right now i put the tube w/ the rubber connector over the throttle body and wiggle it around quite a bit. This really stinks cuz i wanted to put it on tomorow and now it won't fit.... Some one please help!

www.ricehatersclub.com
Old 07-27-2002, 10:16 PM   #5
tnt665
Registered Member

Just tighten the hose clamp and it should seal no prob. New it comes with a smaller band of the blue hose that I believe is supposed to be used as a spacer for smaller t-bodies. I have the same combo (C&L & 65) and run it w/o the spacer
tnt665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 01:05 AM   #6
Agent_4573
Registered Member

will try... and on another note, I just got back from weatherbee road down here in millville and I beat two fox's, two sn95's a civic and a 1983 f-150 pickup.

www.ricehatersclub.com
Old 07-28-2002, 12:18 PM   #7
venumus93
Registered Member

Default i feel your pain!

Agent:

My new C&L 76MM kit came with a blue rubber 'gasket' that I had to put around my stock throttle body before putting the blue connecting hose over it, & it fit very tightly, was hard to line up correctly so that therewould be no leaks(I had to redo it 3 times at the throttle body & at the mass air meter AND at the fenderwell cold air tube!....I just found the cold air tube misalignment last week, and have had this in my car for 2 months!). It does fit snug on the throttle body if you have the spacer thing-a ma-bop...
If you need their specific instructions, give me a fax # I can send it to & i will send it to you for future reference. If no fax # avail, shoot me a PM & I will type it out or try to find someone to scan it in for me....Good Luck!
Later!
93Cobra#3974, 114K miles
3.55's, flo's, pullies, C&L
1/4: 13.985
60': 2.088 (street tires)
MPH: 99.58
venumus93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2002, 07:10 PM   #8
Agent_4573
Registered Member

I bought it used so it didn't come with the adapter piece. I'm gonna go to the hardware store tomorow and buy a peice of rubber tubing that will fit snuggly between the two. Hopefull it will work without leaking.

www.ricehatersclub.com