MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-12-2001, 09:38 PM   #1
teal93LX
Registered Member

Question pcv valve/fuel filter...where are they?

i will be attempting to do a tune up of my car tommorow. I am a certified mechanical idiot and i will bne enlisting the help of a semi certified shade tree mechanic.
two questions
1. where is the pcv valve located, and what is involved in replacing it?
2. where is the fuel filter and what is involved in replacing that?

i think i may be okay with the cap/rotor/plugs/wires/rad flush and oil change..but...
if anyone has any useful tips or free advice(thats the best kind) it would be greatly appreciated!
thanks fellas...

and i know someone out there is laughing at me, but remember, we all started someplace...

------------------
stock aod (only mod is the .38 with hollows on the passenger seat for the jackers) waiting for relatives to die for money for mods...
teal93LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 12:05 AM   #2
89FHPLX
Registered Member

Well it depends on the year, but if you have a 87-93 stang, the fuel filter is located on the rear passenger side right in front of the fuel tank you cant miss it. Its big and round. The pcv valve is under the intake all the way on the back. its hard to work on that because of the intake. I usually open the hood all the way up and reach behind there. After you remove the valve, there is a screen that you should remove also. you can clean that with carb cleaner.

------------------
89 Police Interceptor
BBK Shorty Headers, K@N Cone Filter,H-pipe no cats, 2 chamber FlowMasters,Under Drive Pullys,14 degree Timing, Short Belt, No Air Silencer, oil cooler, 3.08's, And All Police Package goodies
89FHPLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 02:10 AM   #3
my name is mud
Registered Member

Yeah the pcv is on the back of the intake, towards the firewall, sort of a pain to get to, and the screen underneath is even harder to get to, but be sure to clean it good with carb cleaner. I had a talk with a mechanic once who had owned a 5.0 stang himself, I made a comment about how 5.0's leak oil(I have owned 2 stangs that leaked badly, and have seen many others with the same problem) he told me that was because the pcv and screen get all clogged up and pressures rise and the valve covers, rear main, oil pan,etc start leaking. I don't know much about Positive Crankshaft Ventilation myself, but considering the PCV and screen where always clogged up when I got my cars it makes sense to me. Anyway, my point is keep your pcv and its screen clean or your car might start leaking oil.

------------------
88 mustang lx ragtop pulley's and a k+n
14.8 at 93mph
my name is mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 02:17 AM   #4
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Damn, my car leaks a little too, but the guy who helped me clean my upper plenum said my pcv was good, and not to worry.

i suggest cleaning the upper intake, (take off) then its easier to get the pcv, also just be careful with the vaccum lines, but my car ran so much better after cleaning the intake.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 02:20 AM   #5
my name is mud
Registered Member

Oh yeah, and about the fuel filter, before you replace it look in your trunk/hatch around the driver side tail light and you will find a small box with some wires running out of it, there will be a small switch on it, start the car and hit the switch. In a few seconds your car will stall from lack of gas. Now all the gas lines will be fairly dry(you will still probably get covered in gas, just not as much, at least I did) then replace the filter, it just clips on the line. Its been awhile since I replaced mine, so I don't remember if you'll have to hit that switch again to start the car, but I'm sure you'll figure it out.
Old 01-13-2001, 02:21 AM   #6
88GT5.013.02

90dpscoupe, your pcv valve could be good while you pcv screen is bad. A clogged pcv screen is the number one cause for mustangs to lose oil, either by leaking or other means.
Old 01-13-2001, 02:28 AM   #7
my name is mud
Registered Member

I cleaned my upper intake too a while back, I had it off mainly to clean the egr plate/passage and check the vacuum lines and fittings(some of the many things I tried to fix a surging idle before I learned about the 10 pin connectors), But yeah it did seem to run better after it was cleaned up, its nice to hear someone else say it, now I know it wasn't just my imagination.
Old 01-13-2001, 03:14 AM   #8
90dpscoupe
Registered Member

Whats the 10 pin connector? oh well i shouldnt worry right now, my idle is surge free now.
90dpscoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2001, 09:01 PM   #9
teal93LX
Registered Member

thanks for the help guys, we did the tune up today and ervything went fairly well..
i now know what coolant, oil and gas taste like though!!
we still couldnt the pc valve after searching..but i didnt get a chance to read the replies before we looked
i'll take a look tommorow in the light of day, and hopefully i can get to it..

so the valve is on the left side (facing the engine compartment) of the intake, is that correct? and near the firewall?

thanks for the help..he he that fuel filter was a pretty obvious one..it was staring me right in the face! lol

damn i need a manual!

------------------
stock aod (only mod is the .38 with hollows on the passenger seat for the jackers) waiting for relatives to die for money for mods...
teal93LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2001, 02:26 AM   #10
89FHPLX
Registered Member

Yeah, its right on the lower intake smak middle close to the firewall. Feel your way around there. Be carefull not to pull any hoses from back there. If you know how a PCV Valve looks like, then when you feel your way around there, you will know that you got it.
God luck

------------------
89 Police Interceptor
BBK Shorty Headers, K@N Cone Filter,H-pipe no cats, 2 chamber FlowMasters,Under Drive Pullys,14 degree Timing, Short Belt, No Air Silencer, oil cooler, 3.08's, And All Police Package goodies
89FHPLX is offline   Reply With Quote