MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-11-2001, 09:50 AM   #1
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Angry PCV Valve what the ?@#$@#$@$

After all the things I have fixed already including an on the road breakdown and repair of the Dist cap, and Battery/Alternator, that went by fairly smoothly, I was quite unprepared for all the hassles I had with a stupid PCV valve. A few weeks ago I bought a PCV valve at Autozone, A Puralator one, never ever had any problems with a PCV valve before. Finally find mine, notice it is a straight conn, the purolator was an elbow with two inlets. Go back later, guy looks up the part, gives me the same one I just got, I told him it is wrong, he gives me the 4 cyl part#, it looks right. Yesterday I swapped that in, seemed to fit OK, really can't see since it is behind the plenum on the firewall side. Blast on the highway home, and see smoke rising from the car at a light, look underneath see oil on my cats, the ******* PCV!!!!! It does not really seal tight enough. I visually compared it to the original Motorcraft one I removed and it looked the same by eye. Go back to Autozone chew out the guy, he says, oh you block off the other inlet with this little plug. @#$%@#$@#%$@$%%@% Come on a 5.0 aint exactly a rare vehicle, can't they make a direct fit valve ???/ To make matters worse, it is impossible to get the stock hose to attach to the piece of crap valve, I had to find some 3/8" id hose to loop around and connect to the valve, cus I aint cuttin the stock hose for that.

Off to the Ford dealer this lunch for a real valve and new grommet

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch
88 Notch 2.3L 5 speed Parts/beater car

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 fixing soon, getting a 454 to put in garage
www.chevellepages.com/folingo
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 10:49 AM   #2
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I went through the same exact thing. Did you know you can pull those elbow's off of the top of that PCV and there is a straight connector right underneath it just like the original? But even after you do that the d@mn things still don't fit.

What the hell is it with Autozone and Advance Auto and these PCV valves? Can't they make one that actually fits? ARRRGGG!! I too will be going to Ford to get replacements from now on.

------------------
ICQ# 42269241
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 12:41 PM   #3
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Thumbs up

Just got the Motorcraft PCV $4.80 and Gromett $3.50 from Ford. The new PCV has the straight conncetion and comes with an adapter for the elbow fitting( apparently required for some applications) The New valve fit nice and snug into the new gromett and the vac hose went right into place.

Time to clean up the oil leak and move on

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch
88 Notch 2.3L 5 speed Parts/beater car

74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 fixing soon, getting a 454 to put in garage
www.chevellepages.com/folingo
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2001, 08:01 PM   #4
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Sometimes you just gotta go with 'factory' parts - even if they cost more.
The PCV is one of these, in my opinion.
Now you know.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: