MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-28-2004, 09:23 PM   #1
bmxmon
Registered Member

Default setting up valve train problems

Hey, i have a couple questions relating to my valve train. I am finally assembling my engine. Now, looking through my chiltons mustang book, it shows that my firing order is 1,5, something something something.... but, with my lifters in, and the engine at TDC #1, the #5 cylinder exhaust lifter is up. Why?? Shouldn't this be closed, ready to fire?? I did put a new cam in, a Comp cams. Looking though it, it doesnt say that it is switch over to the 351 W firing order, which it seems to look like. (#3 cylinder lifters are both down at TDC #1) My book is designed for 65-73 mustangs, but the engine I have is a 79 302. So, what i really need to know is what is my firing order?? The next question should be a bit shorter, and its how to rightly adjust my rockers. Its hydraulic lifters, and in my book it says to tighten the rocker arms down until you cannot twist the pushrods anymore. My problem is that I can tighten the rockers down as far as then can go and still move the pushrod. I am adjusting them with both lifters down. Any thoughts?? Just for some extra knowledge, does anybody know what my engine will run/sound like with my new cam, Comp Cams grind # FS XE256H-10?
Thanks for any and all answers/advice!
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:07 PM   #2
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

Default Re: setting up valve train problems

Glad to see you are on your way to completion of your first rebuild. Your firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. FWIW, any comp cams p/n that has the number 31 at the beginning has this firing order. If it has the number 35 at the beginnning then it has the "HO" or 351w firing order. Are you sure you have your cam and crank gears lined up correctly? If you roll the motor over some more does the #5 exhaust lifter start to go down? As for the pushrods, I like to have both lifters down. Then tighten until I can feel the resistance between my fingers. Then tighten one half turn. Some people just rotate until both valves are closed and then tighten the bolts/studs to the 30ft./lbs. Don't quote me on the torque spec. Did you prime your lifters before you put them in?
Old 12-28-2004, 10:31 PM   #3
bmxmon
Registered Member

Alrighty, my cam has the 31 numbers in front, thanks for that info. I lined up the cam and crank gears so the two dots were as close together as possible.(still might be a bit off though, one tooth +or-) One thing that sounds really stupid, but i need to ask, is which way does the crank turn when the engine is running. When i turned it over the bit i have, I have always gone clockwise. I think im ok then on the pushrods, that is how i was adjusting them. I didnt prime my lifters, how do i go about that? Thanks.
bmxmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2004, 01:10 AM   #4
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

The crankshaft rotates clockwise when looking at the front of the engine. I like to get a can (like an old soup can or something) and put one lifter in the bottom of it. Make sure the can is good and clean inside. Fill it up with motor oil or transmission fluid where it is just below the top of the lifter (about 1\8" or so). I like to use transmission fluid myself, but it's whatever you have. Take a pushrod and pump the lifter by hand until it gets hard. You'll know when it's there. Then your lifter is primed and ready to install. Repeat 15 more times. Oh yeah, don't wipe the lifters off, just drop 'em in. And another thing, a lifter's travel is only like .100" or so. So there is no need to try to push the plunger through the bottom of itself.