MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-30-2002, 10:18 PM   #1
PONYONE
Registered Member

Default Pinion Angle ?

Ok guys , I have the double adjustable uppers in place and am looking into setting the pinion angle now. To what degree should it be set to? Is it POSIVTIVE or NEGATIVE ?

THX,

-PONY1
PONYONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 08:02 AM   #2
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

As I was reading through the most recent 5.0 mag last night (July 2002, I believe) and drinking a few icey cold fermented beverages, I remember glacing at an article about improving your 60' times. Anywho, in this article a couple of the racers interviewed suggested negative 2 to 4 degrees of pinion angle for the street/strip application - if my memory serves correct.

I can check the article tonight and post back if you would like?

You may want to pick up the issue, it had some good tech related articles in it concerning pinion angles and how it relates to better 60' times.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 10:41 AM   #3
PONYONE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 302 LX Eric
As I was reading through the most recent 5.0 mag last night (July 2002, I believe) and drinking a few icey cold fermented beverages, I remember glacing at an article about improving your 60' times. Anywho, in this article a couple of the racers interviewed suggested negative 2 to 4 degrees of pinion angle for the street/strip application - if my memory serves correct.

I can check the article tonight and post back if you would like?

You may want to pick up the issue, it had some good tech related articles in it concerning pinion angles and how it relates to better 60' times.

E
Thanks E, could you check for me. I tryed to buy that issue but they were all sold out.

-Gregg
Old 05-31-2002, 11:22 AM   #4
andy669
Registered Member

Your optimum pinion angle will depend on several factors. One being what control arms you have. Are the solid or rubber bushed? The rubbers will move a little more than the solids, so you would need to go down a little further.

Pinion angle is a relationship between the output shaft of the trans, and the pinion. When you launch your car, the rearend will "wind up". Ideally, when the rearend does "wind up" you want a straight shot between the output shaft and the pinion. This would put both front and rear u-joints completely square with the driveshaft. This is where you have the most efficient power transfer.

andy

91 LX NMRA Pure Street 5120
andy669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 12:14 PM   #5
drudis

-2 to -4 degrees is about right.
You do wanna make sure that the trans agle is similar in the opposite direction (+2 to +4) degrees.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2002, 10:16 PM   #6
PONYONE
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andy669
Your optimum pinion angle will depend on several factors. One being what control arms you have. Are the solid or rubber bushed? The rubbers will move a little more than the solids, so you would need to go down a little further.

Pinion angle is a relationship between the output shaft of the trans, and the pinion. When you launch your car, the rearend will "wind up". Ideally, when the rearend does "wind up" you want a straight shot between the output shaft and the pinion. This would put both front and rear u-joints completely square with the driveshaft. This is where you have the most efficient power transfer.

andy
Thanks , it sounds like I can't do anything then till I get the engine in the car. Then I can check where the engine/trans is at.
That'll happen is couple more weeks. I'll keep you posted .........