MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-04-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
LincoConti87
Registered Member

Default Pistol Grip, T-Handle, or Classic Ball shift knob?

I like the looks of all three of these shift knobs. T handles look like they would be uncomfortable but cool looking. Classic knobs look cool but possibly too plain and also maybe slick if hand gets sweaty? I think pistol grip seems like the natural position for how I'd reach for my shifter but will it end up sitting way too high off of the stick?

Seems some people really like the T handle after they get used to it but are they good in a fox body mustang setup? I've got a short throw B&M shifter with ugly arse stock shift handle (I just bought this car like this). I kind of thought I'd like to have the B&M T handle just to match up to the shifter under the boot so that it kinda makes sense instead of the handle saying hurst but not having a hurst shifter under it. It seems that T handles can be had new for around 10-15$ on ebay all the time and the classic hurst is about 28$ and I think pistol grip was going for around like 50-60$(ouch).
Old 08-04-2004, 04:50 PM   #2
88fivepointoh
Registered Member

I like the stock look, I don't favor the crazy interior combinations. Stock shift knob works great for me, as for an upgrade for a stock look, a leather shift knob of the same stock look is awsome. thats my 2 cents anyways...
88fivepointoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2004, 09:31 PM   #3
Ieatcamaros
Domestic Rice really sucks!

I agree with the stock look. As well, I am not into the whole interior thing. I made a knob out of aluminum once, and it didn't stay on there long. Cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I like the classic knobs over the t handle or the pistol grip.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:57 PM   #4
mustangII460
Factoy Five Roadster

Mooneyes has some different knobs that look pretty cool.

Scroll down to Shift Knobs. Have to click to see picture. mooneyes

I like this one.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:27 AM   #5
429mustang
Registered Member

I have the black Steeda knob (ball shaped with rubber grip around it) and like it best so far. It's a perfect size and doesn't stand out too much, but looks better than the stock.
Old 08-05-2004, 08:59 AM   #6
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

i replaced my stock setup with a steeda tri-ax and a white "fatknob". looks like a cue ball. i like it, screws on tightly, no slop, and has a lot of weight to it which makes shifting a little eaiser. i bought is used on ebay
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 04:09 PM   #7
LincoConti87
Registered Member

Well it sure is a hard decision. I do kind of agree the stock knob seems to be a good shape and feel. It just looks so crummy with that cheapie rubber crap. I thought a leather versiohn might be nice but so expensive. I'm pretty sure pistol grip would be a bad idea because it just does not seem like it would be good in every shifting situation like going to 5th or reverse. T handle seems like it could maybe be a natural arm position and would be good for the ups and downs but possibly again bad in 5th and reverse. I do like the classic knobs but they are basically all the same. Every one of them is just basically a cue ball and they just engrave stuff or call it a fatknob. Someone on ebay is actually making real pool ball shifters that are tapped correctly for mustangs and you can choose any ball you want solid or striped for like 15 bucks.

One of my main concerns in the whole thing is quality connection. I dont want my shifter loose at all or ever break. I'm not interested in any universal ones. One reason I was kind of leaning towards a hurst since they have them specifically tapped for mustang t5. I also was kind of wondering why everyone and their brother is trying to sell all these millions of billet knobs. Burning and freezing your hand is not cool. I saw one I kinda liked from MGW I think it was which is a more stockish stance but with a small pistol grip like cutout section on the rear and its some kind of plastic or rubber stuff so no temp problems. Also lets you choose from metal top decorative piece with running horse, GT, or something else but the downside is they cost like 60 bucks!

Ok so we narrowed it down to either stock style or cue ball style...still a hard choice. I'd like to have a cueball style but still afraid it may not be as good in some areas.
Old 08-05-2004, 09:03 PM   #8
GhettoPop
Gimme a Drink!

the fatknob is tapered properly for the t-5 stock shifter, or the tri-ax which is the same size. it's rock solid, more than the stock knob and has much more weight to it. does not get hot or cold. like i said, can be had cheap off ebay in (like new) condition. so try it and if u hate it, sell it for what you paid. u wont be dissappointed
1990 GT,stock T-5,K&N w/o air silencer,March underdrives,FMS wires,timing@14*,PA Perf 130amp alt,Steeda Tri-Ax Shifter,Steeda adj quadrant/clutch cable/firewall adj,Centerforce II clutch,o/r x-pipe,Magnaflow SS catback,g-load brace, subframes,Bilstein struts/shocks,Autometer gauges, 136k and running strong!
GhettoPop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 09:08 PM   #9
LincoConti87
Registered Member

I was just looking at the leather style take offs from new stangs and everyone keeps saying they have 7/16" threads? So I guess 96 up you can't use on a T5? I thought T45 and such were same as T5 threads.

What do you mean its tapered? I thought all the cueball styles were just round and tapped straight in? Whats different about it? I actually have looked on ebay a few times for fat knobs and did not find any.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: