MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-28-2001, 10:14 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post Thermactor and Cannister Purge = pass emissions

Do I need these parts to pass an emissions test with a 393 stroker? I read the Chilton's manual and the Thermactor is an air pump that runs of the main belt pumping air. Cannister purge has to do with the fuel delivery into the rails I think. Do I need this to pass a Cali type emissions test and where can I get one??

------------------
In-progress Street Legal
351..(So far)Edlebrock Performer RPM head, Upper&Lower Manifold..Crane Gold 1.6 Rollers..BBK 70MM TB..Full Cartech Fuel System..30lb Injectors..
Sothside Machine bars&sub-frames..Air Bag rear end..3.73's..???Tranny
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2001, 10:23 PM   #2
dinomite
The Dude

I don't know whether you need the air pump to pass emmisions, but you need it to keep your cats alive for any lenght of time as they will clog w/o it.
dinomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 09:30 AM   #3
jimberg
Registered Member

The air pump sends air to the cats to help them work. The charcoal canister is what collects fuel vapors from the fuel tank. The cannister purge then allows the vapors to be sucked into the intake to be burned. You should keep both.

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2001, 06:50 PM   #4
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

I would keep them if I had them. The 93GT I have is minus engine and tranny. It's loaded with a full drag suspension w/slicks, 3.73's, roll cage and parachute. Where could I buy the Thermactor pump and cannister purge? Can anyone help me identify all the misc. parts, hoses, and sensors I need? I am not doing a swap. I have nothing from the original 302. I pulled my 351 from a '69 Cougar!

------------------
In-progress Street Legal
351..(So far)Edlebrock Performer RPM head, Upper&Lower Manifold..Crane Gold 1.6 Rollers..BBK 70MM TB..Full Cartech Fuel System..30lb Injectors..
Sothside Machine bars&sub-frames..Air Bag rear end..3.73's..???Tranny
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote