MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-30-2001, 06:43 PM   #1
MSTANGfromSN
Registered Member

Unhappy Please help. I need a mustang ~GOD~ to get this figured out !!!

I'm totally at wit's end with my 86,I'm totally out of ideas. Please help me!

I'll try to keep this short.

Awhile back this started as a hesitation
going to WOT. It was 8-10 second delay, it has slowly progressed into a miss/stumble.

I have check & cleared codes multiple times
These codes include

None of these codes exist any longer. I replaced the ECT the AM2 selonoid & the egr was sticking which mow moves freely.

The engine won't run worth doo doo, I lost 4 mph in the 1/4 mile from last year. It smells
pig rich, & has a total lack of power.

During this period I also fail emmissions
miserably (no surprise there) but I registered 9 times the limit of HC.

Plugs cap rotor & wires are all new I tried swapping coils to no avail. The O2's are maybe a year old but I don't exclude them at all being it's been running so poorly. The FP is set at 35psi with vac off. It has 19# inj. with a matching 75mm pro-m (yes it is mass-air).

Please help you folks are my last hope!

Mike

------------------
StangNet Event Cordinator
86GT-306 9.3:1, Holley Intake, Long Tubes, Alum Rad, Alum Drive shaft,87-93 brakes with 73mm calipers,T-5Z,Ram Racing Clutch,Subframes,Poly urethan bushings,Cat back,Crank Pully 70mm t-body & spacer 100shot of NOS & some other odds & ends

71Mustang Coupe 460 ported heads mild cam stealth intake ect.
MSTANGfromSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 08:02 PM   #2
NOS_Notch
Registered Member

Try gapping your plugs down to about .040"
Also make sure your SPOUT connector is in.
Do you have a fuel pressure guage that you can see while driving it??

------------------
4.10's,long tubes & 75 shot...Goes 12.50's
Check it out at http://www.burnouts.webprovider.com

11's coming soon!!!!
Heads,intake and cam are all here
NOS_Notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2001, 08:41 PM   #3
MSTANGfromSN
Registered Member

Tried a smaller gap & it makes it 3 times worse. I only have a diagnostic style FP gauge to use i can't see it while driving. Spout is in.

BTW i just pulled 2 plugs both were slightly frosted white which indicates a lean condition. I disconnected the FP vac hose to
bring up FP momentarily & it seemed to help.
But it still doesn't explain the rich exhaus odor.
Old 05-01-2001, 11:00 AM   #4
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

What cam are you running, specs? Have you swapped distributors to make sure it is working properly? You can run a test to check the O2;s so you can try to eliminate them from the equation. I'll have to check my book at home on how to run that, and I'll post later.

I know with my last cam, it ran pig rich at idle but it need the fuel (aggressive cam) or it ran lean as can be at the top end. The exhaust would burn your eyes it was so rich, but it didn't have any hesitations and ran good.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,24#,76mm C&L,Full MAC exhaust 1-5/8" Long tubes,2-1/2" O.R H-Pipe,2 1/2" cat back, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension,S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 31 splines coming very soon!
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 12:09 PM   #5
Skankin
Registered Member

Check the air temperature sensor. I once had a bad connection, and it was kinda similar. It thinks it's cold, so it runs rich & screws with the timing. It never runs goes into closed loop (using the O2 sensors)... just uses MAF readings & stock lookup tables (which aren't that good for a modified car).

When I took a U-shaped wire & jammed it into the plug, it INSTANTLY ran better. I thought the sensor was bad, so I replaced it... but had the same problem. I put some di-electric greese in the connector, and haven't had a problem since.
Skankin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 12:59 PM   #6
Mercury
The Redneck James Bond

Hmmmmm..Hesitation...running rich as hell...No power. Clouds of black smoke rolling out the exhaust?

Have you checked your Coolant Temp sensor? I've worked on alot of cars with similar problems. Hooked the Snap-on diagnostic computer on and they said coolant temp was like -75, even after the engine was running for 10 minutes. Replacing the coolant temp sensor fixed the prob. Most of those though were GM products, No stab at GM intended.

[This message has been edited by Mercury (edited 05-01-2001).]
Mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2001, 09:18 PM   #7
redsn95vert
Registered Member

I had a very similar problem after I installed my heads, intake, and exhaust. I was getting the code for the temp sensor.
Check to see if you have any exhaust leaks, if you do your O2s may be getting too much air and running rich. Check your timing and adjust your throttle stop position. Adjust that and you may help hesitation.

------------------
95 GT convertable, 3.73 gears, bbk off road h-pipe, march underdrive pullies, Saleen wires, custom made cold air induction,
Cobra intake w/ 65mm tb
GT40 heads, flowtech headers
redsn95vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2001, 10:03 AM   #8
MSTANGfromSN
Registered Member

After returning everything to stock & double & triple checking everything it still ran piss poor.

But last night I went to go pick up a H-pipe from a buddy house (1hr drive one way) & 45 min into the drive it totally
went away... cleared up no more problems. Power was up, no hesitation, no misfire, no backfire. Then we shut it
down loaded up the car & started it up & it did the same damn thing!

Started running like a POS again got 45 min into the trip & then it cleared up & it was fine all the way home. I turned
it off once I got home, immediatly restarted it & it ran likea POS again!

What in the world could this be? I'm totally baffeled, right now I'm thinking the ECA is bad, the PIP is bad or the TFI
is bad.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

BTW
Stock Cam, I haven't checked th O2's yet, no clouds, the ECT was replaced a couple days ago. I haven't checked the ACT, how do check that & the O2's?

Thanks Mike
Old 05-02-2001, 04:22 PM   #9
MSTANGfromSN
Registered Member

Just pulled more codes

KOEO

Continuos
29 (VSS)
34 ( EVP above max)

KEOR
12 (rpm max uncontrolled)
13 (rpm min uncontrolled)
(IAC IS DISCONNECTED)
21 (ECT) cold engine not run at all
44 (AM1) just replaced it have to check it.