MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-23-2001, 08:22 PM   #1
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Post Please help me get this engine started! I having trouble.

The engine fires but won't stay running. It's kicking over but won't catch the idle. When I let the key go it seems to clear up slightly and then die completely. I set the fuel pressure at 40 with 30lb injectors. Is that not enough?? Please give any advice. Could it be because I'm using a 302 damper on a 351? Please give any ideas. Thanks

------------------
Finally DONE!!
93 GT, 393 stroker, Dynamic Roller Mite C4, 8 pt cage,
Sothside Machine bars & Sub-frames, 3.73's,
'69 351W block w/SCAT crank.
Stang_ROTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 08:45 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

You did calibrate the MAF right? Vacuum leaks?
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2001, 09:12 PM   #3
stanglx347

Lightbulb

An engine that wont stay running or start up properly!??........WHERE TO BEGIN!?

Good grief...

Well, that can be a tough one. However here is a few things to check out.

1.) Make sure the TPS is set properly.
2.) Make sure the distributor is installed properly, I one time put mine in 180degrees out (think that is the right term) anyway it was put in wrong.
3.) Vacuum Leaks
4.) 40psi should be plenty of fuel pressure.
5.) Make sure the MAF is properly calibrated.

Just a few off of the top of my head for now.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:46 PM   #4
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

OK, let's see. the mass air meter is a Pro-M and calibrated for 30lb injectors, which I am running. So I guess that's o.k. How do I check to see if the TPS is set properly? How can I tell if the distribuor is set right?
Old 07-24-2001, 07:35 AM   #5
stanglx347

Lightbulb

Well here goes, I am trying to do this from memory and I hope I get it right.

1.) When I installed my Distributor (The right way) I brought the Number 1 cylinder to Top Dead Center. You need to make sure it is on the Compresstion Stroke. To do that you can put your finger on over the Spark Plug Hole and as you turn the motor over with a really big Rachet the air will actually push your finger out of the spark plug hole. I could also actually see the piston coming up with a flash light. In addition my Balancer TDC Mark lined up with Timing Bracket on the front of the motor. Anyway, Once you feel the piston coming up, go ahead and put the distributor in, making sure to line it up with the Number 1 Spark Plug on the Rotor-Cap. It works for me every time.

2.) Need a Digital Volt meter and you will need to tap the orange and black wire coming from the TPS Sensor with the Volt meter. You will want a reading of .98 I believe, but not any more then that. You can make very very small adjustments to the TPS Sensor by turning it Clockwise or Counterclockwise.

Sounds like the MAF is ok and the Injectors are also ok.

Good luck.

And If I am mistaken on any of this info, lets hope someone can jump in and correct my comments.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:43 AM   #6
1989_351W
Registered Member

You've got to get the 351 balancer and flywheel. If you don't your engine will shake itself into pieces. I know for a fact that the 351 flywheel is half the weight of a 302 and the balancer is also. Every article that I've read about the 351 swap says the same thing.
I can't say it from experience but I trust the 5.0 mags! Especally if they all say the samething.

------------------
Michael Wigton
1989 351 Windsor
1964 1/2 Convertible
1989_351W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2001, 08:21 AM   #7
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Sorry for the misunderstanding but the SCAT crank, SFI flywheel, and FRPP damper were all balanced as a rotating assembly. Iwas really worried about that also...I've been subsribing to the mags for a yar now :-).
I was just wondering if the degree marks on the dampers were different causing us to misalign the timing pointer.
Old 07-24-2001, 11:20 AM   #8
Stang_ROTY
Registered Member

Which side is you pointer on, Right or Left. Mine is on the pass. side. I imagine if the pointer was on the wrong side it wouldn't be timed correctly.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stanglx347:
[B]Well here goes, I am trying to do this from memory and I hope I get it right.

1.) In addition my Balancer TDC Mark lined up with Timing Bracket on the front of the motor.
Old 07-24-2001, 01:12 PM   #9
stanglx347

Pointer is on the Passenger side of the car.