MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-21-2001, 06:31 PM   #1
Just me
Registered Member

Post Please help stutering problem

Hey all. I can't believe that I just typed a message that took me about twenty minutes to type and it was erased because I didn't type my right screen name and when I hit my back button everything I just typed was gone! That royally sucks *** ! Here goes again. I recently posted a problem about my car stuttering and I still havn't fixed it. Maybe someone can help. Heres the scenario.
When I start my car, cold or warm, a few minutes after driving it, It begins to stutter/pop under part throttle and I loose acceration, resulting in having to pull over unless I smash the pedal to WOT and it accelerates hard without a problem. If I pull over and wait a couple of minutes I can drive away just fine and the car runs fine until I turn off the engine and let it sit for a couple of minutes. During all of this the engine idles perfect, even if the stuttering problem occurs I can let off the gas and the engine idles ok. This is a problem that only happens at part throttle, when it happens. I've changed the plugs, cap/rotor, fuel filter, checked for pinched fuel lines, I have a fuel pressure regulator and it doesn't drop in pessure. All vacuum lines are attached. I even disconnected the EGR and Idle Air Bypass Valve and same problem. I had this problem once last year for one day and then it went away. I thought it was water in the gas tank from the heavy rains here in Miami. I need help, please. Thanks.

Just me
91'lx, 302 block, crank pulley, no smog, short belt, Wolverine 1087 cam, 15 deg timing, TFS TW heads, motorsport 1.6 3/8 stud RR, ARP studs, TFS chrome hardened push rods, 24lb inj, BBK 255lph fuel pump, Areomotive billet adj FPR, Performer RPM intake(ported to 75mm), 1" spacer, Motorsport polished tall valve covers(love em), Pro-M 77, Acufab 75mm TB, Ford idle air bypass valve, K&N conical, MSD 6AL and coil, 9mm MS cables, NGK bkr5e 11 plugs@55, motorsport 3 core radiator,160 thermostat, Hurst short throw, motorsport 410 gears, aluminum drive shaft,Kenny brown Subs, Mac 1 3/4"Long tube, custom 3"off road xpipe, 2 chamber Flow Masters, 3 1/2" tailpipes HAL tubular K-member, KYB struts and shocks, Eibach springs, Steeda 2.5" Cowl, Steeda rear wing, black Dupont centari acrylic enamel paint. Going for an electric fan setup with a blower.
Just me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2001, 01:10 PM   #2
Just me
Registered Member

Anyone? I know its a long post and I apologize, but I need help. Maybe its the MAF sensor? Should I take it to Ford to run diag? Thanks.
Old 06-23-2001, 11:37 AM   #3
Just me
Registered Member

Nobody hates me or nothing like that, right?
Ok I'm gonna clean my o2 sensors and see if thats the problem.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:53 PM   #4
stang4to8
Registered Member

Default stuttering & bucking at part throttle

i know its been awhile since you posted this prob. just wanted to know how you made out. i have an 88 x4cyl car with complete 1989 eng. mass air harness & computer. ialso have a part throttle buck with a decent idle. have same symptoms. any news let me know please--car isnt fun to drive this way jay
stang4to8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2002, 12:11 PM   #5
Just me
Registered Member

Here is my super delayed response to your delayed response. LoL sorry, I never fixed my problem. I took apart the top half of my engine and cleaned everything. I looked for any cracks and leaks but everything checked out ok. I also checked plug connections and washed whatever I could examining everything along the way. This problem has plagued me for the past 4 years during every summer. My girlfriend mentioned that it could be humidity in my gas tank or water getting in my EGR from the opening in my cowl hood since the problem clears up every mid October till the following summer. Right now I don't have the problem but I do have another. Any time I accelerate above half throttle to full throttle, the car sputters really bad. It sounds like I drop a few cylinders. It sounds and feels like a 5hp Briggs & Straton powered go-cart. I'm very pissed at this freakin car. I've played with fuel pressure and ran computer tests. I've done too much to even care anymore. I'm going to buy another car within a year and I'll put the stang away for a few years so I can shake off the anger I have. I've had this stang for 7 years and I used to be a proud owner. Now I'm just beaten and sick of it. My modded 81' RX7 gave me less problems. I'll never sell my stang cause I highly regreted selling my RX7. I'm going to save up and get a new block and tranny. Maybe then I'll find out what the ****** is causing this retarded problem. The four banger/turbo scene is huge here in Miami so maybe that'll be the next project though my love for American muscle will always be my #1. Any ideas on my WOT problem, please help. Also I hope that I hope stang4to8, you fixed your problem. If not, just start changing thing things starting with you fuel filter. If you have a radical cam, they do buck a little here and there at part throttle. Good luck.
Just me
Old 10-15-2002, 01:29 PM   #6
stang4to8
Registered Member

Default stuttering at part throttle

i have a thread in here about this.just got notice that mass air cars may depend on the vss{vehicle speed sensor} connected in the trany speedo assy. mine was unplugged, so last night i reached under my car and connected it,went for ride but no difference, however my speedometer has never worked, any ideas?this may be especially true if your car is converted to mass air.not sure of this possitivley
Old 10-16-2002, 04:49 AM   #7
Just me
Registered Member

thanks for the info. Well, my car came with mass air but I'll check that tranny plug you were refering to. Your speedo gear could be stripped. Check the cable at both ends. Maybe the cable itself is broken somewhere. My speedo started to make a slight grinding noise recently that hasn't gone away. I don't know what else to say about your sputtering problem. Try to reset your computer. Make sure that your plug wires aren't arking during acceleration.
Thanks again and if I find out what this sputtering problem is I'll post the fix. I have a new fuel pump but I'm thinking of swapping it out for another one.
Old 10-16-2002, 01:49 PM   #8
girlhound
Registered Member

believe it or not my fiend had a similar problem with sputtering and popping at part throttle....ran good at wot..he replaced everything and it ended up being the very last thing he could replace....the distributor.
girlhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2002, 05:57 PM   #9
stang4to8
Registered Member

Default stuttering

was this prob also a part bucking/stuttering at part throttle. wouldnt the only things you would need for dist be a pip sensor & tfi modual? i have{i think}a similar prob. it buck & stutters at part throttle, mash the gas & it starts to clear up pick up.
Old 10-17-2002, 08:49 PM   #10
girlhound
Registered Member

He had bad idle...bad bucking and backfiring at part throttle and terrible gas milage.......But at wot everything was fine....Hope this helps
girlhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2002, 02:37 PM   #11
saltzstang
Registered Member

Talking

Speach Therapy!
AFR 1492 heads,Track Heat Intake, d.s.s super pro bullet 331, lakewood bell, king cobra, 3550 ,UPR shifter, aluminum shaft, 4.10, 31-spline, spool,hoosier27x10, moroso ds-2, 175-juice, egt...11.40 on motor spray pass coming.
saltzstang is offline   Reply With Quote