MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-04-2008, 02:01 AM   #1
bourbon
Registered Member

Default plugging the EGR crossover holes

does anyone know offhand if there are threads in the two holes in the heads where the EGR crossover pipe connects. i want to plug them cause im carbing my 88 5.0L. will pipe thread plugs work?
bourbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
bailey_57
Registered Member

Default Re: plugging the EGR crossover holes

i plugged mine when i still had ported e7's by cutting the blocks of the ends of the pipe and flipping them around so the flat side was against the holes. it worked for me. i don't think the holes are threaded. i've got 3 sets of these in the garage so i'll look tomorrow if i get a chance.
performer rpm intake, performer rpm cylinder heads, fms e-303 cam, kirban adj fp regulator, holley 65mm tb, harland sharp 1.6 roller rockers, alum driveshaft, 3.73 gears (283 rwhp, 303 rwtq new numbers with new heads)
bailey_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #3
bourbon
Registered Member

talking about the holes in the ends of the heads next to the firewall. the pipe that goes from one head to the other has ends that sit flat against the head with one bolt per side holding them on. i dont understand how cutting them off and flipping them around would help as it would still have a big hole in it?
Old 03-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #4
bailey_57
Registered Member

ok on the back of the heads there is a pipe, its held by one bolt in each head on the back of the head (toward the firewall). I believe the tube is called the thermactor tube. Unbolt that from the heads and cut the blocks from the tube. because they are symmetrical, the will fit the opposite head when reversed. on there back side they are flat so when bolted fast to the head cover the hole. i did this with my car and drove it like that for a year and a half with no problems. does anyone see a problem with my advice? if so please chime in. let me know if this helps. good luck.
performer rpm intake, performer rpm cylinder heads, fms e-303 cam, kirban adj fp regulator, holley 65mm tb, harland sharp 1.6 roller rockers, alum driveshaft, 3.73 gears (283 rwhp, 303 rwtq new numbers with new heads)
bailey_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:06 AM   #5
bourbon
Registered Member

i'll have to look for that tube and see if that would work. it just doesnt seem like its a very airtight seal. at least when it went somewhere there wasnt that much pressure but im sure there will be more there if its actually blocking the path. i had heard a while ago someone said they had plugged theres and i havent had a warm enough day to work on my engine but it did look like there were threads in there.

thanks for reply, ill let ya know what i do (if i remember)
Old 03-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #6
bourbon
Registered Member

****had to edit this for correctness****

yep your right bailey it is the thermactor crossover tube im talking about not the EGR. i still never looked at the tube i took off.

today i did go out and clean the threads in the holes (yes there are threads). and i would rather have something in there than something just in front of it. i found out that a bolt size 5/8-11 will work. Or, if you have holes in the front of the heads, Ford sells a plug that has smaller threads inside it for an accessory to bolt into, part number F4ZZ-6E086-A. took forever and a day to find this out.

Last edited by bourbon; 03-16-2008 at 03:06 AM.. Reason: wrong bolt size
Old 03-21-2008, 10:23 AM   #7
jwilliy
Registered Member

Just A Little Confused ... I Know The 94-95 Have An Egr Tube Out Of The Headers And Into The Upper Manifold But What Bout The 89-93's Cause The Set Up Seems To Have The Egr Spacer And The Valve With No Place For A Tube.... If I Have 94-95 Headers Can I Cap The Tube Or Am I Missing Something...
Also Does Anyone Know If The Gt40 Heads Need To Be Pluged Like The E7's For The Air Pump??? I Will Not Have An Air Pump On My Set-up An I Know The Gt40 Heads Are Reversable So..?? What Size Belt Will I Need For Serpintine Belt W/o A Air Pump...have Heard You Dont Have To Use An Eliminater...??
Thanks Any Info Can Help In The Middle Of The Swap

And Just To Be Safe A 93 Set Up Upper And Lower (reg Not Cobra) Will It Clear The Hood Of A Sn95( 94-98)
jwilliy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
bourbon
Registered Member

once again, i did make a mistake in talking about the crossover tube that goes from one head to the other in the back which is for the thermactor system NOT the EGR.

but, since you asked jwilliy....

i believe that the EGR spacer gets its exhaust internally. by that i mean i think it comes up from the heads through the intakes to the EGR spacer all internally through a special hole. when its called for the EGR spacer valve opens and the exhaust gets routed into the intake. there is an electrical connection and a vacuum line on my 89 mustang gt to the back of the EGR spacer. went out and looked and i see no external tubes from the exhaust.

cant help you with the other stuff
Old 04-04-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
vonschmittou
Registered Member

Question Re: plugging the EGR crossover holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bailey_57 View Post
i plugged mine when i still had ported e7's by cutting the blocks of the ends of the pipe and flipping them around so the flat side was against the holes. it worked for me. i don't think the holes are threaded. i've got 3 sets of these in the garage so i'll look tomorrow if i get a chance.
I need a thermactor tube. Mine was cut out and I think I will be moving to NC where you have to have them

That being said, I actually need the crossover tube (thermactor tube) smog pump and lines with bracket. Anybody wanna sell one?

Jim in SC
vonschmittou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 11:54 PM   #10
bourbon
Registered Member

Sea Foam works wonders for inspections (unless they're visual). and who's to say that you don't use Sea Foam in your gas all the time?
Old 04-05-2008, 07:13 AM   #11
vonschmittou
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bourbon View Post
Sea Foam works wonders for inspections (unless they're visual). and who's to say that you don't use Sea Foam in your gas all the time?
It is visual. I actually call a station and explained to him my dilemma. Unfortunately the smog junk has to go back on if I want to drive it.

92 LX 5.0 conv./auto/turbines
vonschmittou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
andre7276
Registered Member

vonschmittou im getting ready to pull the smog pump anf line of my 87 gt i will sell them throw me a offer for them thanks
andre7276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:50 PM   #13
goodyear1984
Registered Member

its is a 9/16 corse thread.
347 stroker all forged,arp everything,stud mains w/girdle,7qt pan,full roller, custom cam, aluminum heads swirl valves 5 angle valve job.quick fuel 750,areomotive pump,cobras w/nitto drags,and m/t et drags for the track, ford racing 373 gears,centerforce clutch,tko500,underdrive pulleys,bassani x-pipe,flowmasters
^best et so far 11.6 1.61 60ft coming soon 9sec et's
1992 mustang gt
2001 gmc 1500 4x4
78 century boat
92 skidoo
goodyear1984 is offline   Reply With Quote