MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-03-2002, 10:27 AM   #1
scale
Registered Member

Default polishing stock parts?

I have my stock throttle body and egr spacer off of my car. Does anyone have any recommendations on polishing them? I would by a polished one but most are a bit more than i want to pay. I think the stock one is 60mm and i wouldnt be gaining any performance if i went up to a 65 or 70mm on a stock intake. I have a polished stock intake and would like the TB and EGR to match it....come to think of it, i would have to polish the air bypass valve housing as well. I am just not sure the best way to go about getting started at that. Any ideas?
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
scale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 11:58 AM   #2
mxz
Registered Member

Lots of wet sanding. Start with around 400 and work up to 1500-2000 grit . Finish with a good metal polish. Takes time but sure does look good.
mxz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 03:09 PM   #3
scale
Registered Member

Sounds like alot of work. Does anyone know where i can buy stock polished parts?
1991 LX coupe,AOD, red, 80k, K&N, MAC cat back, MAC off-road X, Autometer Gauges, BBK Ceramic unequals, fully polished upper intake, fuel rails, and egr, working on installing.....MM full length subs, H&R sport springs, MM Lower control arms, MM caster camber plates, bilstein shocks, struts.
Old 04-03-2002, 10:13 PM   #4
RageForces
Registered Member

I have polished almost all my stock parts with a drill wire brush. I did the TB,TBS and the lower intake. It took me about 3 hours work. Oh ya i did the Mass air meter. This was not hard at all.
RageForces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2002, 10:14 PM   #5
RageForces
Registered Member

Oh ya at came out really nice.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:04 PM   #6
scale
Registered Member

Ill have to give that a try. I will probably pick up an extra TB and EGR Spacer from ebay or somthing and give that a try. That way if it ends up not working out i can always go back to my original.

Thanks again for the feedback!!!

Any other ideas or plans would be appreciated as well!

Keep them comming and thanks!
Old 04-03-2002, 11:21 PM   #7
RageForces
Registered Member

Oh ya a brass wire brush works alittle better then steel.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:56 PM   #8
scale
Registered Member

Thanks again, any details and recommendations / secrets are appreciated.
Old 04-04-2002, 01:15 AM   #9
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking this was eaaaasy!

I polished my throttle body, fuel lines and other stuff myself w/ the polishing wheel on the aircompressor. Took off the Throttle body, did all the lines and fittings in the engine. Used the brown bar polishing compound. Dont remember what it was called but it worked like a champ!!!!!! It wuz not hard to do at all!!!!!!! VERY little effort. The main prob. was making sure I didn't hit the metal w/ the metal edge of the wheel and scratching whatever I was polishing. TOOO much effort to do it by hand!!!!!! Just make sure you have different sized wheels and cones to get into tight spots!
Also, be sure to lay towels over the rest of your engine if your working it it, if you use the polisher. I flung SH** everywhere and it was a PITA to clean up...Also watch for flinging SH** on your hood blanket!!!!
Theres pics of my engine in the BOL on "Got My Chromed Radiator Hoses on Today!" If you wanna see it.....
Good luck!!!! Topless In Texas

RICE HATERS CLUB MEMBER #38!!

O.B.C #5..thank you!! I feel so priveledged!!

BONE STOCK~ Hell, its a ROUSH!
Topless In Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2002, 09:45 PM   #10
scale
Registered Member

Any idea where i can get some of the compound?

did you just start right in with the brass wire drill attachment or did you sand it and all that first? I have a used TB, EGR spacer and lower all lined up and am going to give it a shot.

Thanks
Old 04-04-2002, 10:09 PM   #11
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Talking Hi.

Its actually a Red Rouge, and I think you can get it at Sears. There is a white and a red, I used the red, rougher grit. I did nothing as far as sanding or prepping, just the aircompressor right off the bat w/ the polishing wheel, and it all turned out great! Good luck and lemme know how it comes out. I'm about to go get started on Topless, we've got a 2 day indoor show on Sat. and Sunday and were taking the cars up there in the morning...
Shes filthy right now!!!!! I'll be up extremeley late I'm sure!!! cya. Topless

Old 04-04-2002, 10:30 PM   #12
scale
Registered Member

SOunds great! Did you have an air powered hand buffer? I would like to get something simular. I have seen the pics of your underhood and it looks damn good.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:06 PM   #13
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

yeah, Scale,
I had an air powered buffer. Actually HAD is the right word(ex got custody of that and the air compressor!!!!!) waahhh! That is on my list of things to purchase!!!!!!!! it also comes in handy for repolishing your wheels when they get dull! Hope I was some help! and thanks for the Compliment!!!!!!!! TNT

Old 04-09-2002, 02:22 AM   #14
89lxstang
Registered Member

Hey Scale,

I'm also in the process of polishing up my parts and found a good web site. http://www.geocities.com/forced347/polishin1.htm

Gives good instructions and the guy has an awesome stang. Hope this helps and maybe in a week or two I'll post some pics of my engine bay.

later,
89stang
89lxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2002, 07:55 AM   #15
Topless In Texas
Not broken anymore!

Thumbs up COOL WEBSITE!!!!

WOW 89STANG!!!!
WHAT A COOL WEBSITE!!!!!! I saved it in my 'favorites'!!!
I guess considering i didn't really do it the 'right' way, i'm lucky it turned out as good as it did and has held up!!!!!
Thanks for the link! TNT

Old 04-14-2002, 09:01 PM   #16
scale
Registered Member

Hey 89lxstang

Have you started polishing yet? Hows it working out for you? I am going to pick up a dremel for my throttle body and egr since there are so many nooks and crannys to get at.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:46 PM   #17
89lxstang
Registered Member

Scale,

I have started and so far I've done the air conditioner, egr, power steering, and right now i'm doing the alternator. I'm pretty happy with the results, but it sure does take a lot of time and elbow grease. I would say to take your time and get a dremel. I must say though that the end result is worth it. Right now I'm in the process of trying to find something to put on the polished parts so as they don't collect so much dirt and dust. After driving the about 100 miles the engine parts start to collect alot of road dust. If you have any questions about the process I would be more then happy to help. Like I said earlier I hope to have some pictures in the next week or so of before and after.

89lxstang
Old 04-15-2002, 04:22 PM   #18
scale
Registered Member

I am excited to see your results. Have you started out with sandpaper like the site says to remove the CAST finish from the aluminum?

Let me know how it turns out. Ill post more as a start. I just got my dremel today

Thanks

Jeremy
Old 04-15-2002, 05:28 PM   #19
89lxstang
Registered Member

I did start out with the sanding first to remove the casting and get the the bare aluminum. Although I have found that if you start out with 100 grit then work your way up is the better route. When I started with 80 grit it took forever to remove the deep scratches. But before the sanding I would use the dremel with the alum. grinding stone #8175 and the carbon steel wheel #428 to prep it for the sanding. Let the dremel do most of the hard work for you. After you have done that then start sanding with the 100 grit and work your way up to 150, 180, 320, 400, 600. Then comes the good part. I used the dremel with the polishing wheel and first applied the tripoli compound and then the white rouge which can be purchased from www.eastwoodcompany.com

The final step was to apply a metal polish to protect the part from rust. I know it's alot of work but take your time and start with a small part first. But let me warn you, once you start it's hard to stop because it looks sooo damn good.

I will try and post a picture or link of my altenator in the 400 grit stage. and a before and after of the air conditioning unit

If anything is unclear let me know.

89lxstang
Old 04-15-2002, 07:05 PM   #20
scale
Registered Member

i have started in with my dremel Looking good so far. I need to run to the store and get some sandpaper. I am testing this all on the bottom of my egr spacer before i get serious. The dremel was an awsome purchase so far. Time to hit the store. I am thinking that you could probably get some clear coat of some king to finish it up but i am not sure what kind. I am not sure what kind could stand up to that kind of engine temps. IF you figure anything out let me know.

thanks