MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 07-11-2004, 11:36 AM   #1
bailey_57
Registered Member

Default ported e7's?

could i just have my stock e7's ported to effectively with my ecam, i was thinking porting and 3angle valve job. i've taken everyone's advice and not installed the cam yet, but i really want it installed. will my stock heads be suffice or do i really need to get some aftermarkets? tireburner i figure you probably have a good answer. thanx guys this site is great.
bailey_57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:37 PM   #2
88workcar
Registered Member

Cool

That combo works very well. Port the stock intake as well.
To be old and wise, You must first be young and stupid I'm somewhere in tthe middle.
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:14 PM   #3
82 GT
Import Slayer

Cool!!....another local mustanger here!

Yes, it's been proven the E7 heads can be made to make to make lots of power. I forget the name of the website but (maybe someone here can help me out with that) but they are called "Thumper heads" and this guy ports & polishes your E7 heads and does optional other things with them and thses heads are supposed to really make power.
I don't know if you plan on porting them yourself or what but there is a machine shop in Catawissa called CROSSLEY'S that really does excellent machine work.

BTW, what year mustang do you have?
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
82 GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 10:25 PM   #4
bailey_57
Registered Member

Default local stanger

i actually have 3
an 89 gt blue/silver
a 92 black gt i just picked up
and a 9935th ann gt red/black

i'm trying to slowly mod the 89, on a budget mind you. i was thinking of laubach's in bloom. any idea on them.
Old 07-12-2004, 12:29 AM   #5
tireburner163
It's a lot like a race car

http://www.cmc.net/~xero/Mousesporting.html

Check out the above link and read at it at your leasure. It's got a lot of valueable info. Basicly you want to remove the emisson bump in the exhaust port, take off some of the material around the pushrod on the intake port, and work the vavle guides.

The e-303 cam will work pretty well with ported stock heads. Port the intake too while your in there.

Have you already bought the E-303 cam? If not I would advise aginst it and suggest instead you go with a TFS #1 cam. The e-303 is a tollerable cam and performs fairly well, but it's out-dated and often seems to cause a idle problems.

Quote:
Originally posted by 82 GT
Yes, it's been proven the E7 heads can be made to make to make lots of power. I forget the name of the website but (maybe someone here can help me out with that) but they are called "Thumper heads" and this guy ports & polishes your E7 heads and does optional other things with them and thses heads are supposed to really make power.
While it IS true that Thumper heads, Power heads, etc DO perform well for what they are (stock heads) the price puts them out of the question IMO. Power Heads are like $650 bucks for CNC ported stock castings. If you hit up the "For Sale" forums on some stang boards you can find used aluminum heads for around that much money, that flow much better.

Hell, Drew (FiveOhPatrol) picked up a set of BRAND NEW Pro Topline 200cc aluminum heads for $800 bucks from Summit (they were on clearance)

1998 HD Electra Elide
tireburner163 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:11 AM   #6
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I cant remember the exact website, but if u still want the thumperheads website I will get it off my computer tom...at work now.
Ryan

04 Grand Cherokee Freedom Edition

79 Ford F-250 4x4 - Restored
rwhite65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:33 AM   #7
tmoss
Registered Member

www.thumperoforangepark.com

Lots of guys have run his heads with my ported lower and made very good power - 250-260RWHP and 300+RWTQ.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:17 PM   #8
Dark_5.0
Registered Member

IMO, dont waste your time on E7's. I used to run ported E7's and I had more money in them than I have in my canfield aluminum heads.

I had them ported, polished, milled, 3 angle valve job, and trick flow springs. They performed well but pale in comparison to aftermarket aluminum heads.

JMO,
Dark_5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 02:17 PM   #9
82 GT
Import Slayer

Default Re: local stanger

Quote:
Originally posted by bailey_57
i was thinking of laubach's in bloom. any idea on them.
I'm pretty sure Laubach's machine shop is no longer. I take my machine work to Crossley's. He's good and good on prices.
Terra's speed shop is also good but expensive.
'82 GT 351W (.060)Comp Cams 274* Extreme Energy cam, ported & polished heads w/ 1.94/1.60 valves 10.3:1 flat top pistons,stealth intake, Mallory dizzy,Holley 750dp carb, BBK shorties,Flowmaster exhaust,C-4 with 3700 stall converter, B&M pro shifter,8.8 rear, 4:10's, subframes, electric fan, powermaster alternator, 4 core radiator.
Old 07-12-2004, 02:47 PM   #10
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally posted by Dark_5.0
IMO, dont waste your time on E7's. I used to run ported E7's and I had more money in them than I have in my canfield aluminum heads.

I had them ported, polished, milled, 3 angle valve job, and trick flow springs. They performed well but pale in comparison to aftermarket aluminum heads.

JMO,
I agree but he's on a budget. I don't know his financial situation but I'm sure a set of Canfields would be way over budget.

I had my stock 351w heads ported/ploished, new guides,springsinstalled, and oversize stainless valves installed for a little more than $700...............not bad
Old 07-12-2004, 04:00 PM   #11
tireburner163

Quote:
I agree but he's on a budget. I don't know his financial situation but I'm sure a set of Canfields would be way over budget.

I had my stock 351w heads ported/ploished, new guides,springsinstalled, and oversize stainless valves installed for a little more than $700...............not bad

For $700 you can find used, low mileage aluminum heads all over sites like the Corral, that will walk all over a set of ported stock heads.

-Josh, aka the tireburner

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 07-12-2004, 05:12 PM   #12
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
For $700 you can find used, low mileage aluminum heads all over sites like the Corral, that will walk all over a set of ported stock heads.

No doubt that aluminum heads are superior than irons but I wouldn't feel comfortable buying a set of used heads on the internet.
My $700 got me fresh heads, new parts and peace of mind that they will last me a long time.
I'm sorry but if you are going to buy heads then buy new ones....iron or aluminum or have the ones you have rebuilt.
Paying $700 for used heads could get you $700 worth of junk.

bailey_57 , your best "bang for the buck" would probably be the thumper heads since you are on a budget.
Old 07-12-2004, 07:36 PM   #13
bailey_57
Registered Member

Default ported e7's

thanks guys, i am in fact on a very minimal budget, from what i've been told the e cam i have will work great for now with ported e7's. i'm putting off on the afr's until i have the bucko's.
Old 07-12-2004, 08:00 PM   #14
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I also have debated buying used heads off the internet. Seems to me like a risky chance to get a set of $700 paper weights.
Ryan

Old 07-12-2004, 08:27 PM   #15
tireburner163

You just have to buy heads from a reputable person. You wouldn't buy a car from a shady used car dealership would you?

I like going fast for the least amount of money.

$600+ bucks for ported stock castings is a 100% total waste of money IMO. I just can't justify in my mind spending that much money on STOCK heads when there are so many more options that will net you more performance for less money. Ask any hardcore stanger here and they'll tell you the same thing. (dark 5.0, fiveohpatrol, bos55 come to mind)

The money you save can be put towards other mods that will ultimatly make your car even faster.

If your gonna buy stock heads then talk to Jeff Chambers and get yourself a set of GT-40P heads and port them or have them ported. That will save you several hundred bucks .

1998 HD Electra Elide
Old 07-13-2004, 12:49 AM   #16
82 GT
Import Slayer

Quote:
Originally posted by tireburner163
You just have to buy heads from a reputable person. You wouldn't buy a car from a shady used car dealership would you?

I like going fast for the least amount of money.

$600+ bucks for ported stock castings is a 100% total waste of money IMO. I just can't justify in my mind spending that much money on STOCK heads when there are so many more options that will net you more performance for less money. Ask any hardcore stanger here and they'll tell you the same thing. (dark 5.0, fiveohpatrol, bos55 come to mind)

The money you save can be put towards other mods that will ultimatly make your car even faster.

If your gonna buy stock heads then talk to Jeff Chambers and get yourself a set of GT-40P heads and port them or have them ported. That will save you several hundred bucks .

Come take a ride in my mustang with ported stock heads and then tell me I wasted my money.
We are not all born with silver spoons in our mouths and can afford "Canfield" heads....oooohhhh

Before I built my engine, I had a goal in mind, bought the parts, assembled the engine(myself BTW) and ended up with a product that was much better than expected.
I say that's money well spent!!
Sorry dude but you kind of pissed me off when you started telling me how I wasted my money...blah blah blah
As far as buying a car from a "shady" used car person, how does anyone know he's shady until they get the car home and realize about a week later they bought a POS?
I'm happy with how my engine runs and the money I spent on it and that's all that really matters.

BTW.....I'd love to hear you tell they guy that builds those THUMPER heads that he's wasting his time with STOCK heads and tell all the people who bought his heads that they too also wasted their money.
Hell...while you're at it, you may as well tell TMOSS that he's wasting his time on STOCK lower intakes.
Old 07-13-2004, 03:07 AM   #17
rwhite65
Ride Hard

I am not saying he should dump the money into his stock heads. I believe that with the vast knowledge on this board, people could help talk him through a few small self porting steps that could really wake the e7's up. Then he would have very little money in the e7's...but have a better flowing head to compliment the cam.

Anyone can buy a set of aluminum heads and bolt them on. He would probably rather do that. But y not teach him how the head works....what it is in his heads now that is holding him back....and let him work his way to the aluminum heads (when funds allow).
Ryan

Old 07-13-2004, 05:39 AM   #18
88workcar
Registered Member

Cool

With a set of E7s that I ported, my car ran 12.70s @ 107. Now with the car gutted, a stock motor runs 12.40s @ 108. Just for the argument I woud love to see another junkyard motor with "Thumper" or "POWER" heads on it with cobra intake and a B cam. I am currently porting my Alum heads. I had a professional do one cylinder and I am duplicating the rest. This port job is way more shaping and changing to the runners than I ever did to my E7s. I would love to see a good set of E7s on my car now. Matter fact this has got me thinking about backing up the stroker for a few more months.
To be old and wise, You must first be young and stupid I'm somewhere in tthe middle.
88workcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:32 AM   #19
tmoss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 88workcar
With a set of E7s that I ported, my car ran 12.70s @ 107.....
Some of my ported stock intake/Thumper customers have run those exact numbers.

Quote:
Originally posted by 88workcar
This port job is way more shaping and changing to the runners than I ever did to my E7s........
Ding Ding Ding Ding - we have a winner!

Reshaping ports in an intake or a head is where the REAL power comes from, not just going in and hogging the runners out larger.
88Gt 5spd Vert, FLowmaster Catbacks, stock cam advanced 4° @ 108.5° ICL, NMRA prepped GT40P heads 1.85/1.55 valves and 1.7 rockers, MAC P headers Jet-Hot coated, 97 Exlporer intake (ported lower), TB and injectors. 277RWHP/330RWTQ (SAE).

http://www.fastlanecars.com/
tmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2004, 07:40 AM   #20
tireburner163

Whoa dude, calm down

Quote:
Come take a ride in my mustang with ported stock heads and then tell me I wasted my money.
I never said stock headed cars were slow. If you look at my sig my street/strip LX you'll see it has massivly ported GT-40 irons. However I only have about $375 in them, including the cost of the heads.

Quote:
We are not all born with silver spoons in our mouths and can afford "Canfield" heads....oooohhhh
None of use were born with silver spoons in our mouth. I only make about 9K a year. This whole arguement about aluminum heads has been about SAVING money and going fast for less money.

Quote:
Before I built my engine, I had a goal in mind, bought the parts, assembled the engine(myself BTW) and ended up with a product that was much better than expected.
I say that's money well spent!!
Agreed

Quote:
Sorry dude but you kind of pissed me off when you started telling me how I wasted my money...blah blah blah
If you want to spend $700 bucks on stock heads that's fine. Lots of people buy Saleens every year. I think they're wasting their money too. I like going faster for a cheaply as possable, if that dictates buying used heads, so be it. The vast majority of the people on the web ARE good people.

Quote:
I'm happy with how my engine runs and the money I spent on it and that's all that really matters.
Agreed, it's your motor, build it the way you want. I am mearly offering my OPINION in this thread.

Quote:
BTW.....I'd love to hear you tell they guy that builds those THUMPER heads that he's wasting his time with STOCK heads and tell all the people who bought his heads that they too also wasted their money.
I'm quite sure he's not wasting his time, I bet he's making a KILLING off of these heads. Thumper heads flow very well..........for what they are. But I still can't justify spending 600 bucks on stock heads when you can buy aluminum heads that not only flow better out of the box but you have the option of porting them and flowing even more. The Thumper heads are maxed out. For a lot of people just wanting a mild 306 mustang the Thumper heads are fine, but for hardcore people really looking for some serious speed they just won't cut it.

Quote:
Hell...while you're at it, you may as well tell TMOSS that he's wasting his time on STOCK lower intakes.
I never said anybody that had their stock stuff ported is wasting money. The heads and intakes on BOTH of my cars are ported. I'm just saying that it doesn't make sense to spend $700 on stock heads when you can get aluminum heads for the same price. Sometimes you can even get NEW aluminum heas for just a tad more. FiveOhPatrol picked up a set of Pro Topline aluminum heads for $800, BRAND NEW, from SUMMIT.

1998 HD Electra Elide