MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-26-2002, 09:12 PM   #1
89lxinwky
Registered Member

Question Specific ?'s on home porting

I'm in the process of porting my stock E7's. I've ground the thermactor bump flush with the roof. I'm not in any hurry so I want to do everything I can while I'm at it. I've got a GT-40 intake, using a Felpro 1250 gasket, I was going to try and match the intake side as best I can with the gasket and lower intake ports. There's probably a good 1/16" of metal I could take out on all sides to get to the gasket. Should I take out that much? If I did, I was thinking about just doing it at the mating surface and tapering it in quickly in the intake port so I wouldn't decrease the velocity too much. Has anyone done anything where the valve stem comes through the roof? It looks like you could trim that up a little and taper it down to where the stem comes out. It looks like the flow path would split around this "pedestal" and if you could streamline this area as much as possible it would be beneficial. This would be similar in the exhaust port. Any suggestions? I can't remember for sure, but a while back I thought I saw pictures where someone ground this "pedestal" completely flush with the roof. That might have been a different head. Has anyone done that or would that be too much distance without any support for the valve stem? What about the exhaust side?... Raise the roof a little after the thermactor's gone?.. how much?... Open up the port size a little? Whoever's been there/ done that, if you have the time, give me some details on what all you've done to the stock E7's. Maybe some pictures if you got any. I know, I know, I've read all the posts about don't waste your time porting these heads and buy a new set of aftermarket heads. Well, I have a die grinder and some time, new heads will have to wait a while.
Thanks in advance
MAC headers, Flowmasters,
3.73 gears, Steeda Tri-AX, Mickey ET Streets,
Vortech V1-SC, 38# injectors, Crane InterceptorII

7.9's @92mph (traction enhancement devices needed)
89lxinwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 01:50 PM   #2
89lxinwky
Registered Member

ttt
MAC headers, Flowmasters,
3.73 gears, Steeda Tri-AX, Mickey ET Streets,
Vortech V1-SC, 38# injectors, Crane InterceptorII

7.9's @92mph (traction enhancement devices needed)
89lxinwky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2002, 03:58 PM   #3
89 ATI
Registered Member

There used to be a good article on fordmuscle.com that I looked at when I did mine. It helped a lot.

"Our lady of blessed acceleration don't fail me now" Elwood Blues
89 ATI is offline   Reply With Quote