MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2001, 03:04 PM   #1
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Post porting and polishing benefits?

Just owndering how much does portaing and poslishing really help the output and what are the estimates? I have 531 windsor senior head son my mustang which are kinda not matching m edelbrock intake as much as i would like. In fact teh portas are smaller in the head. GImme a estimate and maybea price to do all this work and i brought the components ot someone allready off the motor. Thanks again guys
vetteeatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 12:26 AM   #2
mustanger82
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Porting and polishing make huge benifits stock 351 heads are good to about 43 hp per cyl wothout porting after porting look for a 10 - 20 hp per cyl gain depending on the quality of the port job, the quality of the port job also affects the price, you can spend anywhere from 800$- 1500$+(canadian) based on the level of porting. but a 10 hp per cyl gain is worth 80 hp in the end
which is very noticeable
and worth while
my 2 cents
sean Kisch
mustanger82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2001, 09:52 AM   #3
vetteeatr
Registered Member

Red face

Are you serious ae you saying that the heads can up my horse power over 160 horses jsut by a pretty good porting job? Also how much is that in US currency? Thats amazing powergains. But these are nto stock heads and have work on them extensively with huge valves. Is this purely horses or will i gain mroe torque as this beast is a torque monster. WHOA!!!!!!!!! i was just reaidn gup on it and it appears I have no idea what im saying. LOL. It seems they port wehre the valves are which means mine must be ported allready... I was talkign about wehre the manifold meets the head. Im kinda confused actually a rundown on porting would be great. THanks
Old 09-13-2001, 06:37 PM   #4
mustanger82
Registered Member

email me and I'll be glad to let you know all the inside info on porting
mustanger82@hotmail.com
mustanger82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2001, 01:54 AM   #5
elmir50
Registered Member

This can get to be a touchy subject cause people don't take into account the whole car as a combination, they only look at one piece at a time. Questions you need to ask yourself, is the car a street car or all out drag car? What tranny are you using? Gear ratio? Tire size? If auto what stall speed? What are your goals, good gas mileage or max power, good driveability?

What cam and valvetrain are you running, will they be sufficient in supporting a port job? Hows the car drive now?

Anyways, the main purpose of porting is to get the desired air speed through the ports to make the desired torque you are after. The second objective is to straighten out the path to the valve as much as possible (ie. cutting down valve guides) Polishing the chamber promotes bettter gas scavenging and also helps prevent detonation.
elmir50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2001, 09:02 PM   #6
vetteeatr
Registered Member

well it runs good now and ive been worrying abotu the gas mileage as i get liek 10 MPG now lol its so so bad. Anyway i have kinda forgot abotu MPG since its beyond repair lol. also would mathicng my lower intake to the heads help alot. Please someone give me estimates on power gains for these 2 procedures
Old 09-16-2001, 09:59 PM   #7
John
Registered Member

I just did my stockers 2 wks ago along w/ cam and intake. I did all port work my self. If I were you I would definatly gasket match the intake to heads, polish the exhaust sides of the heads, and upper to lower ports(polished as far as possible into them). As far as numbers you can get 15-20 hp out of a basic port polish (gasket match, thermactor bump removal, chamber polish) oh BTW dont nick the exhaust valves, at least on stocker heads, I did and had to replace them. You probably wont get far enough into the intake sides to worry about nicking the valves. I have some pics of my port job if you wanna see them (intake and heads). John

------------------
89 Notch: ASP Pullies,
K&N Air,Transgo shiftkit,Trans. cooler,FMS 3 core , FMS 4:10's, 1.5" cowl, cold air kit, hooker shorties(jet hot coated), O/R H-Pipe, ASP solid mounts, Energy Sus. Trans. Mnt. BBK 70mm TB, MSD 6al, Dual elec. fans, 5.0 Firepower Kit, Scorpion 1.6 RR's, Flowmasters, 73 mm MAF, cobra intake and crower #512 cam,
John is offline   Reply With Quote