MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-22-2002, 08:26 PM   #1
William Bowers
Registered Member

Default Efi vs carb

I keep wondering that if something happened to the engine in my car.Woukd i be better off to to do a performnace oeiented rebuil to my 302 or should I build a strong 351 or 351 stroker with good parts and a carb.Would the relative ease of the bigger cubes and carb setup outwiegh the many advantages of the injected setup but look at the price since I would have to switch to mass air with new computer since I have speed density. I just wish I could get an honest 350 RWHP and still have honest drivability/like power steering and A/c witth no power adders. Wake me up if I am dreaming.
William Bowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 09:47 PM   #2
BigEd
Registered Member

Cool

Feeding a 350RWHP motor seems too high to achieve without upgrading injectors ,MAF and intake and throttle body, adjustable fuel pressure regulator if you have a big cam and maybe a custom chip. Add up the price of those, what is it about $800-$1400. Now add up the price of a Holley 750 and a Performer RPM carb intake. It's much cheaper to go with the carb and much easier to adjust your fuel ratio and idle with the carb. You know the drawbacks though, bad gas mileage, the car won't be worth as much. My son is trying to decide the same thing with his 89LX.
BTW we live in Lexington too, hello neighbor!
Old 12-22-2002, 11:08 PM   #3
PKRWUD

I just finished building my 308, which is similar to what Ed suggests. I just need to find something to drop it in. My cost was low because I got a deal on parts, and did all the work myself. Your cost would still be less than half to do it this way.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2002, 11:14 PM   #4
5.0L_Of_Fury
Registered Member

tell ya what....you can drop it in MY car and I will pay you for it
No Substitute For Cubic Inches!
BURN EM UP
fivepointzero@kytnar.org

"Give 'Er Hell"
"They Call It Minute Rice..Gee Are Those Actually Track Times?"
Firemen: We Find 'Em Hot And Leave 'Em Wet"
Rice Haters Club Member #23 (GM Ricer Fads)
Gotta Love Hatin 'Em
CLUTCHES,FUEL PUMP RELAYS,FOUR CYLINDERS
5.0L_Of_Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2002, 06:41 PM   #5
BigEd
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Nice motor man!
that would look good under my hood.
Old 12-25-2002, 07:59 PM   #6
William Bowers
Registered Member

....and it just so happens that my father has a 351 windsor and a 400m sitting in the corner of his shop that I can have for free .If I am not mistaken I ought to be able to build anywhere between 393 and 432 cubic inches depending on rod length of course I ought to chunk the 5 speed and go with a race prepped c4. Of course I also have a 460/c6 combo from an early 70's lincoln in the corner of my shop.......... Man this crap gets expensive!Even with the free parts I will still spend thousands......I have too many hobbies!
Old 12-25-2002, 09:43 PM   #7
Coupe Devil

Great lookin motor Chris. Whats that goin in?? and William... if you use a 6.25 inch rod with a 400 crank with mains turned to the 351 journal sizes you will get a 408 c.i.d. engine.

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 07:48 AM   #8
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by Coupe Devil
Great lookin motor Chris. Whats that goin in??
Thanks! It was fun throwing it together. I don't have any idea what it's going in yet, but i will when I find it. I'm thinking Pinto....

I took this the other day after plumbing the nitrous:

Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 12-26-2002, 11:05 AM   #9
86GT
Sniffed too much n20

I can't wait to get a blast with my carb setup. Going to a carb'd setup may not be too cheap either. High quality parts can be expensive. My MSD distributor was an example. It cost me nearly $400 cdn, and then it needed a steel gear to work with a roller cam (had cast iron on it). The parts guy kinda screwed me on that one, as I ordered with a steel gear, and ended up paying $100 cdn more for it. Anyway, if you find the parts you want or have them, then it is definitely the way to go.

PKRWUD, I'm curious, what heads and intake/carb are on the beautfiul piece of art work?
Old 12-26-2002, 11:54 AM   #10
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by 86GT
PKRWUD, I'm curious, what heads and intake/carb are on the beautfiul piece of art work?
Thanks for the kind words! The heads aren't anything fancy. They're just '78 castings with some slightly larger valves put in, and a little massaging. The intake is an Edelbrock Performer RPM, with a 1" spacer, and the NOS nitrous plate. The carb is a good question. I build my own, and have buckets from which I grab the parts I need, so it's built from several different carbs. It is a 650 double pumper, and the body probably started life as a Holley 4777.

Here's a picture I took a couple weeks ago where you can see the manifold and 1" plate better:

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 12-26-2002, 10:04 PM   #11
William Bowers
Registered Member

coupe devil I don't mean to argue cuz as we both know you are correct,but dealing with my experience with my dragbike motors you ought to be able to stroke a stroker crank.Follow my logic When you are putting a 400M crank in a 351 you are stroking the motor but it isn't a stroker crank It is a 400m crank in a smaller engine. So if you can stroke the stock crank in a 302 or a 351 approx. 3/16" some times more to achieve approx 331 and 377 respectively. Since the Crank I would be using is essentialy a stock 400m crank why couldn't I stroke it a little over a 1/4" shouldn't I be able to achieve displacement somewhere in the 425-433 cubic inches(depending upon how much overbore you do to the block) from the motor we both know would be a 408 if left stock.( I am sure that there may be some block clearance issues with the rod bolts or counterwieghts and maybe even some piston skirt clearance problems but you could purchase custom pistons anyway) Does that make my initial query on the possibilities of C.U. variations with my available parts correct or am I in error.As I have said before my experience is limited in this area but if it will work in a bike Motor it ought to work in a car one .Unless yall know of some other reason why it can't be done that I am overlooking..........Please be kind I was very liberal on my estimation of strokes and thier achieved C.U. I may have made slight miscalculations but I belive the general theory is correct.Don't worry if you are scratching your head , Cuz I have confused myself as well.......................Put the pipe down and back slowly away................ that's right drop the lighter...........Crack kills! And I forgot about destroking motors to get different combos. For some reason why I can't understand why you would spend money on some thing like that unless you were looking for a really high revving big bore short stroke motor in a class where you are limited to a certain displacement? (if I were required to run a certain displacement or less I would want the combo that would give me the highest revving motor with the biggest bore/shortest stroke I could feasibly Build ,Unless it was aclass that requires the use of a lot of stock parts and breakage was a big issue like in Factory Stock racers at NMRA events You might want to detune the engine to help reliability of the drive train since even if you have the fastest car in the field if it won't hold together you can't go rounds and if you can't go rounds you can't win races,or money,or championships Boy I have really gotten off track haven't I. I am going to stop taking painkillers and drinking Vodka at the same time................at least when I am typing.(I WAS KIDDING ABOUT THE CRACK)
Old 12-26-2002, 10:13 PM   #12
Coupe Devil

Im not arguin.. and I do follow the logic with stroking the 400 crank.. Just dont know what CID it will be. would hve to put the calc to it. Definantly something to look at though.

Bradley

Built Ford Tough Moderator
Coupe Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2002, 11:04 PM   #13
William Bowers
Registered Member

My figures could be off by as much a 3-5 percent but I think they are close.I am accustomed to figuring out displacement and stroke lengths in cc's and mm's. I was having trouble with the standard conversions but the metric I can do in my head, and all this from a redneck country boy? Man I already said I should have sarted with my car instead of spending so much on the bike. I think an 8 second car would be fun. A mid 8 second bike is scary.Of course if I pop for the one piece body and the fuel cell as well as that billet big block and lower the seat hieght and ground hieght considerably as well as stepping up the juice a little i would have a high 7 second bike. But that would be even more scary (170+ trap speeds? whoa! I think we have just seperated the men from the boys), Not to mention more than doubled maintenance and spent a good $3000 more that would have been better spent making the car I plan to drive every day (better/faster/quicker/louder/prettier) rather than A bike I would be lucky to race once a month with the motor in that state of tune and my schedule being so hectic. Of course if I drum up 6 grand I could do Both .Course then I'd have to sell one of the fourwheeler's or my streetbike or better yet my wifes van , that way her boyfriend would have to come to her and I would have a better chance of catching them in the act. "Ahhhh Freedom! so fleeting yet so worthy of chase...."
Old 12-27-2002, 12:10 AM   #14
Shaggy
Registered Member

Talking about stroking...I will look for his website later when i am a little more sober but there was a guy here in Houston who has a 454w fox body vert.....it redlines at like 6 because the stroke is so long and the piston speed is way up there but it makes more torque thean you can shake a stick at....I think he running like 2.73's or some ridiculous because of the torque numbers. So yes you can keep adding strok if you wanted to....