MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-06-2004, 09:55 PM   #1
Philossifer
Registered Member

Default Power Steering Fluid Change?

What's the best way to change my power steering fluid. (1989 Mustang 5.0LX, 120,00 miles)

The fluid is old and dark (power steering works good, no noise) but I'd like to change it for good measure.

The car had a new (leaking) pump installed but they didn't change the fluid. I tried draining and refilling the resevior but it's still pretty dark.

Is it okay to disconnect the low pressure hose and crank the engine. Will doing this suck the old fluid out of the rack?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Phil
Philossifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 01:52 AM   #2
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Yeah, I think the idea you have about the disconnecting the low pressure hose will work. Just don't let it run dry for more than several seconds. Don't wanna screw up the pump.

Or, I guess you could just get a rubber bulb and pull it out OR stuff a big rag down in there and soak up as much as possible. Then add new fluid run car (while turning steering wheel from side to side) a few minutes and then soak that stuff out and repeat till it's clear enough for ya.
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 01:31 PM   #3
drudis

Yep exactly, use the low pressure (screwclamp) side.

What I do is plug that end of the pump, and point the hose into a bucket. Empty most of the reservoir, the stuff that just spilled all over the floor....
Then without starting, crank the motor, and add new fluid into reservoir. This pumps (one-way) fluid thru the system, and flushes it.
Put the hose back on, and top off reservoir. CRANK steering lock to lock to remove air bubbles, and top off reservoir.
http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: