MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Classic Mustangs
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-09-2001, 10:04 AM   #1
MidniteWrider
Registered Member

Angry Power Steering Frustration!

Power Steering lines –
Does anyone hate their power steering system as much as I do! Two years ago I replaced everything, lines, valve, steering box, tie rod ends you name it. I can never get the lines to stop leaking, lately it has gotten worse I cannot keep the delivery line tight. I tighten it and within a day or two it works itself free and I am leaking major fluid. I have gone through 2 quarts in less than a week. I have tried tying the lines back away from the headers to still allow movement but nothing seems to work. I am getting frustrated; these troubles are making me want rack and pinion more than ever. What was for thinking when they designed this system? It stinks!!!!!!!!! I was just wondering how some of you felt. I cannot be the only one with these problems, I hope.

------------------
68 Hardtop
Formerly a 6 now a slightly built 289 C4/shift kit.
Tri Y Headers.
Borla Exhaust.
American Racing Rims.

MidniteWrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2001, 09:02 AM   #2
Gearhead999
Registered Member

I too have had mucho P/S leaks on my 68. I found that if you put a hose clamp down on the valve where the supply and return lines are it helps keeping them tight. Have you done that yet??

I also routed my lines out side the headers and wrapped heat sheild tape around them.

Been working for many years now.
Gearhead999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2001, 11:10 AM   #3
Clark Rodgers
Registered Member

As far as keeping the lines tight Loctite on the threads will keep them from loosening. The only problem is keeping the threads dry to use it. If you are mechanically inclined you could also drill a small 1/16 hole on the corners of the power steering line nut and safety wire them together. Eastwood used to sell a tool that would help with the drilling but this is what we use on jet engines to make sure fittings won't back off.

------------------
69 351W Sportsroof deluxe
Clark Rodgers is offline   Reply With Quote