MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-18-2001, 12:10 PM   #1
92Rustang
Registered Member

Angry Help Please? long

My car is running like $#%&. It fells like a a carburated car loading up on gas. It is slugish and has back fired a couple of times.

I have about 1000 miles on the top end of the motor. I thought maybe the rr's were loose so I pulled it apart and the rr's are all fine. Now this is my first time adjusting RR's and I had to tighten them to 1 1/4 turns down to get them quiet. It still does sound like a sewing machine, but not tapping.I last adjusted them about 500 miles ago. I have run the car pretty hard since then. It ran fine until about 75 miles ago. It started with not wanting to idle after cold start, but would after a minute or two. Then came the hasation with a small back fire here and there. It fells like a carb loading up on gas.

When I was removing the upper intake I noticed spotty oil on the gasket. Could I have a problem here. I do not have a baffle in the rocker covers and I can see oil going through the cover to TB tube.

The injectors and MAS were used. This is the other tought I had. They were not that used and from a friend that did not have any problems with them.

Sorry so long but I'm lost. Could my RR's be out of adjustment,MAS giving me problems,air leak by the upper intake. Any info would be great. Thanks guys I'm dying to get this think to the track.

------------------
92 GT 5-speed
Windsor Jr,E303,1.7RR,Cobra intake,65mm TB,155lph,24 lbs,75mm MAS,shorties,h-pipe,
2.5 flowmaster,Black magic,Holley adj fuel, 3.73
No times yet. 13.6 before heads,cam,inj,rr
www.fordmustanggt.com

92Rustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 03:30 PM   #2
Rick 91GT
Procharged!

You could have a mal functioning FPR I have heard the Holley's aren't that good. Pro-M has issues getting the fuel curve for the 24# correct, it usually runs rich down low and lean up top. I got rid of mine and got a C&L 76mm and it runs so much better. Some have issues some don't..so I think that is hit or miss.

Reset the computer and then check the TPS voltage and you plugs to make sure none of them are fouled. Guess you just need to start with the basic's, FP, timing plugs, cap and rotor, vac lines etc....

1-1/4 turns is excessive for setting the rockers, if they are pedestal mount it sounds like you need shorter push rods or more shims. If they are stud mount it usually takes no more then 3/4 of a turn.

------------------
Check Out My Site 91GT,Holley SysteMAX II Kit-Heads 2.02" x 1.60" port matched to a 1262,Anderson N-61,30#,76mm C&L,75mm Accufab, Full MAC, No A/C or PS or emissions, 12" K&N Filter,RNH PERFORMANCE Ram Air,Ron Davis Radiator,Full Suspension, SPEC stage III clutch, Lakewood SFI bell, S&W 8pt "X" brace,JAZ seats,3:73's,Welds..etc,4:30's and 33 splines coming very soon!
[b]12.16 @ 113.5, 1.78
Rick 91GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2001, 05:11 PM   #3
92Rustang
Registered Member

Angry

OK I got the top end back together and reset the computer. The RR seem fine when it is cold. When it warms up the start tapping. It also smokes a little out of the right side. I would beleive the RR are out of adjustment. I did not readjust them I just checked for loose ones. They all have a little side to side movement.

If I get on it then let off it seems fine for a minute, but then seems to loaded up on gas. Now I'm not sure if it is loading up on gas that is just the best way to discribe what it drives like.

This is real start to get to me!

------------------
92 GT 5-speed
Windsor Jr,E303,1.7RR,Cobra intake,65mm TB,155lph,24 lbs,75mm MAS,shorties,h-pipe,
www.fordmustanggt.com

[This message has been edited by 92Rustang (edited 10-18-2001).]
Old 10-19-2001, 10:34 PM   #4
92Rustang
Registered Member

Any body I can really use some ideas? Thanks

------------------
92 GT 5-speed
www.fordmustanggt.com

Old 10-20-2001, 09:46 AM   #5
fordgasm
Registered Member

Hmmm....I would start with the easy stuff, like make sure the intake is not leaking any where. Check all the vacumn lines. Timing? Did you have the distributor out?

But, if the rockers are noisy I would suspect the problem could be here. I am assuming you have adjustable stud mount roller rockers, which will make some valve train noise but should not be making a tapping noise. How did you adjust them? You should be able to get them to zero lash by tightening the rocker as you rotate the pushrod, once you feel the resistance you should only have to tighten 1/2 to 1 turn. You should go through all of them making certain valves are in the proper location for adjustment.

Sounds like you also installed injectors and mass air meter. Are you certain the meter is calibrated for the 24 pounders? Or it could be a problem with the meter. Maybe to check it, put your old meter and 19 pounders back in and see if it runs better.

The oil in the intake is a common problem when removing the baffle in the cover. I installed a K&N breather and plugged the line from the filler neck.

Sounds to me you are on the right track as all the things I thought of you have already mentioned. Just need to weed them out one at a time.

------------------
fordgasm
CLICK HERE to see my 87 GT
fordgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2001, 12:49 AM   #6
92Rustang
Registered Member

OK I think I found my loaded up on gas problem. I drop my fuel pres. from 28 to about 20. This seemed to help it so I'm going to get I new regulator. When I got home I was looking for loose RR and I found another small problem. The heater core went south. So I'm not going to be doing any tuning until that is fixed. One thing after another.SUCKS I'm thinking about putting it away for the winter!

------------------
92 GT 5-speed
www.fordmustanggt.com

Old 10-21-2001, 10:58 PM   #7
withamc
Registered Member

My $.02 - is that fuel pressure with the vacuum disconnected from the regulator? If it is, you're way too low. Even if it's not, 20 seems awfully low. I'm running a C&L 73mm with 24#ers and I'm running at 34, it only drops to around 30 with the vaccum on. It almost sounds like the MAS you bought is cal'd for 19#ers and you're making up for it by dropping the pressure too low. Also, ditto what everyone else said about your rockers. 1/2 to 3/4 turn after the pushrod starts to get tight. Mine's noisy, but everone I've had listen to it says that a higher lift cam with 1.7 RR's is going to make more noise.
withamc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2001, 04:15 PM   #8
92Rustang
Registered Member

The MAS air is set for 24's. I know that is low for fuel pressure ,but I want to see if it changed anything. I only drive the car about 1/2 mile and noticed the heater core. And now I won't be able to get to that for a couple of weeks. Thanks for the help. I will let everyone know when I start fighting this problem again.

------------------
92 GT 5-speed
www.fordmustanggt.com