MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-20-2001, 12:25 PM   #1
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

Angry Premium sound amp ARRRGH

On a side note, I finally got a working trans for my 90 and it is sooooo sweet to have the beast running.

One of the first things I noticed was NO TUNES. The factory ford radio was there, and the LED readout did not really work, but you could hear the tape moving if inserted. So I figured just install my nice Alpine. Get the removal tool for 3 bucks, and the harness adapter plugs. Even soldered the connections between the plugs and the radio harness, plug it in and...... NOTHING

After scratching my head for a while, and reading the new 89-93 Chiltons manual I got, there was mention of an "premium sound" AMP buried under the dash, sticks my head in and see it there. Remembered seeing a premium sound sticker on the floor when vacumming. Finally got it out, unplugged it I assume this unit is fried thus no sound output. I had to cut the wires leading from the amp and after about a hour of trial and error decypehered the wiring since the chiltons had no radio info. Of course the amp output plug was totally strange as the speaker wires were not paired up execpt for one pair of 4, very bizzarre!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there an slick adapter to jumper this to bypass my hack job??? Anyone need a stock head unit, which apparently does work just a bad LED readout

Gotta go burn some rubber

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Stone stock Two Broken T-5's at the Trans shop now. First Mod removed Silencer at 99,614 miles.
74 Chevy Laguna Type S-3 305 apart in garage, getting a 454 to put next to it
www.chevellepages.com/folingo
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 03:05 PM   #2
Unit 5302
Registered Member

Lightbulb

Actually, if you remove the stock crossover/amp the factory wiring that was built for just the stereo is still there. I hope you didn't cut it?

The stock stereo wiring connects into the amp, then a seperate set of connectors goes to the stereo.

If you remove the amp, without snipping wires, the factory connections from under the dash directly connect to the conversion harness. The amp is just another accessory in the mix.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 05:38 PM   #3
Chevyguy

That is what I was expecting but...

The two harness clips that plug into the stock radio one grey, one black are about 8 wires long and skinny, one has the bat feed, swiched power, dimmer etc, the other has the speaker outputs. Those wires lead to a grey rectangular wire plug that goes into the amp. This has power leads and speaker imputs. Another 8 wire plug leads to the speakers. I cut off the amp ends of both of those plugs, cut back the power leads and connected the speaker wires, and yes all the wiring in the car itself is intact. What I will probably do later is keep the black connector, but wire the speakers directly to the radio, perhaps run new wires to the front speakers, then run a pre-amp lead back to a rear mounted amp. The Alpine has the overrated 15 wattsx 4/ 25x 2 rating but drives the fronts pretty good when faded to all front.

Another question, is there a way to install 6x9" speakers on the rear deck of a Notchback without hacking?? There looks like more than enough room, but looks like 5x7" speakers up there now. I dont think those could handle even the Sony 20x2 amp I have for the rear.

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Stone stock Two Broken T-5's at the Trans shop now. First Mod removed Silencer at 99,614 miles.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:06 PM   #4
Casper5.0
Registered Member

Lightbulb

6x9's won't fit in the back deck without cutting the metal under the cloth, however, those 5x7's will handle power very well, i ran 60 watts rms to mine and they sounded real good, produced MUCH more bass, still not great but better......hope this helps

------------------
94 cobra, stock for now.........

Quartermile times soon.......
Casper5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2001, 09:59 AM   #5
Chevyguy

Lightbulb

Hmm sounds like I'll try feeding the 5x7's more power. What speakers are other notchback guys running for speakers?? I don't recall seeing any real good 5x7" speakers out there.

------------------
Frank W
90 5.0 LX coupe Daily driver. Silencer removed, K&N filter. Flexalite fan, 3 core radiator. FMS flywheel and Clutch Finally rebuilt T-5.

Old 03-21-2001, 10:09 AM   #6
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

A 6x9 or 5x7 speaker will never sound as good as a round speaker. The oval shape just isn't good for use in quality sound systems, IMO.
Go with a 6" mid speaker or get some component speakers for the rear that comes with the mid, tweeter, and crossover. You'll be happier with a setup like that and the sound will be crystal clear depending on the rest of your system and the type of speakers you buy. I like Sony's myself, but that is just because I can get them cheap through my mother's work. My preferred choice if cash was permitting would be MB Quart. But they are really expensive.

------------------
Indiana Stangers Association
Buy your parts here
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote