MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Air Fuel Ratio Gauge problems (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=36864)

88fivepointoh 06-02-2003 09:42 PM

Air Fuel Ratio Gauge problems

I installed a phanton face air fuel ration gaige this weekend and it doesn't seem to be working correctly. when i first start the car cold, the gauges slowly lights up to the near rich point. after it warms up the gauges doesn't show any lights at all. when I rev it it goes to almost rich but fluctuates from no light to rich. when I am driving the gauge does the same thing and never stays steady even when I am on the throttle. could I have bad 02 sensors? I do get a code for always lean condition with no change. but when I get on it, it does go in the rich area? Fuel pressure it set to 38lbs with vac. ON. any ideas?

302 LX Eric 06-03-2003 08:00 AM

I have the same gauge and mine does the same thing: bounces around under part throttle. However, under WOT, the gauge should settle down and read right at the high end of stoich or one/two notches into the rich area.

Upon start-up it usually slowly creeps from lean to the high end of stoich and then after warm-up it may not read at idle sometimes.

From my understanding (limited as it may be) this Auto Meter gauge is not the best gauge on the market and only reads intermitantly - not like a constant gauge that other manufacturers sell. The more accurate and 'easier to read' gauges do cost more, but I was more concerned about what my engine was seeing under WOT and the gauge, for the most part, gives me that info.

Hope this helps,
E

bigred90gt 06-03-2003 11:32 AM

What other manufacturers are you referring to who have "better" gauges?

fi347 06-03-2003 03:53 PM

On an EFI car it will toggle between rich and lean at part throttle. It's working the way it's supposed to. If you had a carb it would stay pretty much steady.

Dog5ohfun 06-04-2003 01:08 AM

First question for you is that are the lights fluctuating when you drive? If they don't fluctuate at all then you will need to check to make sure that where you spliced into the wires, the connection is still good. I had this problem with mine. I hooked all the wires up and then the splice came undone, I just cheated and used crimps. A bad connection won't allow the gauge to give a proper reading. Good luck

302 LX Eric 06-04-2003 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by bigred90gt
What other manufacturers are you referring to who have "better" gauges?
I can't remember them by name. There was a post here a while back that was on this same subject and I guess that alot of the import crowd uses some other gauge manufacturer for air/fuel that is much more accurate - also much more expensive.

I'm not saying AutoMeter, in general, is not a good manufacturer, because they are.

Just looking through the JEGS catalog there are 3 other manufacturers that have air/fuel monitors:

1) Edelbrock - $126.99
2) Holley - $85.99
3) K&N - $176.99

The AutoMeter gauge is $54.99.

Hope this helps.
E

88fivepointoh 06-05-2003 09:03 PM

which )2 sensor wire is it for the hook up? the white ones or the black? the dealer told me the white one today and the damn thing stays at lean at all times? is it the black wire? its the 3 wire setup. 2 whites and 1 black.. one of the whites is 12V power for the heater...

fi347 06-06-2003 07:29 AM

It's the black.

88fivepointoh 06-07-2003 12:56 AM

Thanks!! it works awsome!