MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Low, loppy idle then too high, then low again.... (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=38254)

Fox Body 07-31-2003 12:36 PM

Low, loppy idle then too high, then low again....

Hey, the GT is not doing bad, but the it's having a little problem.

1) When I first crank it after it's been sitting for overnight, it really wants to shut off if I allow it to.

2) After it has warmed up, it doesn't idle well. It'll idle high (~1100 rpm) for a few seconds, then idle low (~ 600) in a loppy kinda way (like a umh, umh umh, instead of a smooth ummmmmmh).

3) Also, if I'm driving down the road and come to a light it'll idle high like mentioned in 2), then low, then high... even when I'm driving and am slowing down for a stoplight, if I depress the clutch pedal, it idles high (above 1000) and then after I FINALLY come to a dead stop, it'll drop down, but hten go up then down , etc (as already mentioned)

Just to start off with easy things that I know haven't been recently changed anyway, I put in a new fuel filter and spark plug wires (trying to start off with the easy stuff).

Could I be losing vacuum somewhere? What is the hose that comes out from the inside of the cavern of the upper intake (directly above the lower intake)? There are 2 hoses. The smaller one on the left (if you are looking at the intake from the front of the car) seems to be old and almost corroded. From the intake, I think it goes to a plastic junction that then goes to that smog canister. It's not easy to get to that's why I haven't changed it yet.

Any ideas guys??? I don't really care for a ruff idling car........

RDRZ 07-31-2003 01:47 PM

I have a '81 Toyota truck (it's my wheeler) and I had the same problem that you have. My problem was a vacuum line totally fell off of the carb. I can't remember exactly where it was connected to, and I am at work right now, but when I get home tonight I will try to figure out exactly where it was. I don't know if this will help you other than it is a good possibility that it is a vacuum leak (hopefully). Take a piece of vacuum hose and listen through it at different places on your motor to see if you can hear anything.

VeNuM 07-31-2003 03:01 PM

Sounds like a vacuum leak to me, also could be your TPS.

88fivepointoh 07-31-2003 03:43 PM

did you disconnect your battery at all recently. you could just have to reset your idle. hope that helps!

Roket 08-01-2003 04:51 PM

I took carb cleaner and sprayed the intake and found a leak....my car does the same exactly thing. and it was the gasket between the upper and lower intake.

Fox Body 08-04-2003 06:20 PM

Thanks for your input (sorry took me so long to reply, my internet's been off and on this week).

Yes, this does seem like a vacuum problem. If it were the '79, it'd be easy to figure out, but you can never right off tell with these newer cars.... :rolleyes: I'm gonna change out that emissions hose coming from the intake cause whether that is specifically the problem or not, looks like it'll be a problem soon. I'll see what happens. If that does not do it, then we'll talk.

I have disconnected the battery recently, but this problems seems to be different than just a idle (to high or too low) problem.

Thanks.

Fox Body 08-05-2003 11:29 PM

Well, that emissions hose was the problem. I changed it out and another piece and the car runs perfectly now. It was worse than I thought it was... just about completely dry rotted. I love an easy fix. :D :D :D :)