MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cobra /GT-40 vs. BBK SSI intakes (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=48857)

meknized 08-24-2006 07:41 PM

Cobra /GT-40 vs. BBK SSI intakes

Hi

I was wondering what the concensus was on the new BBk intake compared to the tried and true cobra/GT-40. I have a cobra intake now and was wanting to upgrade. I know a guy that is selling a GT-40 upper which of course would bolt right up (and look better). I know it would flow a bit better than the cobra upper. However I really like the looks of the new BBK and more importantly if it produces more power. Does anyone have any experience with the SSI? I'm seriously thinking about picking one up, but don't want to waste the money if it is not worth it. What does everyone think?

Fat0eknee 08-24-2006 11:03 PM

Re: Cobra /GT-40 vs. BBK SSI intakes

take that money and buy you a nitrous kit ...or a tank of gas lol

tmoss 08-25-2006 07:07 AM

the SSI will not make any more average power over your usable rpm band than the Cobra you have. Neither will the GT40 upper, but if you like the way it looks compared to the Cobra, buy it for that - you can sell the Cobra and not be out much if any.

Coupe50h 08-25-2006 06:05 PM

" Muscle mustangs and fast fords "magazine had a comparison on those intakes, I forgot which date, But the ssi is a better intake. looks nice with the fuel rails it comes with. However I remember the gt-40, would hang with it until the real high rpms, the aluminum gt-40 upper sounds great to me since it would bolt right up.
And like mentioned above, "get n20, or a tank of gas, that really made me laugh, but that's about how i feel too. lol
Brian

meknized 08-25-2006 06:55 PM

Hey,

N2o would be great, I kinda like the N/A route though. Nitrous would be a faster way, but I'm always more impressed with Natural running. I toyed with buying a HP turbo awile back, but the initial cost persuaded me otherwise. :) It seems to me that the shorter runners on the SSI would reduce low-end torque slightly but would pull harder on the top-end like you were saying. I have also heard that the cobra might be a bit restrictive for a stroker.

Coupe50h 08-26-2006 11:51 AM

Yea with a stroker i would go holley hands down. also the edelbrock rpm or rpmII would be my second choice with a stroker, but i love the aluminum runner look, it's lighter and smooth, besides, it gives it a sleeper look, noone would suspect a 11 sec stroker with that intake, with a portmatched lower, and some porting it would be ideal in my opinion.
good luck.

tmoss 08-27-2006 05:19 PM

The restriction in the GT40/Cobra intakes is the lower - it can be improved on significantly in the hands of a good porter.

meknized 08-27-2006 07:03 PM

Hey,

Yeah that would be a good idea also. The ports on the gt-40 heads after being ported by Saum Engineering are bigger. Trying to get them port matched would definetly help.

tmoss 08-28-2006 07:10 AM

it takes more than a simple port match to get the full benefit out of a GT40/Cobra lower. Besides what does "port match" mean - probably different things to different people.

meknized 08-28-2006 05:36 PM

To me anyway, port-matching would be opening up the lower intake manifold ports that mate to the head. Using machinists dye to see exactly where the ports are in relation to each other, then port the intake to the lines made by the dye. At least with a hand porter, try to smooth out the runner as high up as you could go to get a smooth transition. Plus making sure the gaskets are not in the way of the flow path.

HoodStrype 08-30-2006 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmoss
The restriction in the GT40/Cobra intakes is the lower - it can be improved on significantly in the hands of a good porter.

If you buy it send it to tmoss ;) ... seriously.

I'm going to buy the BBK intake in a couple of weeks :D

Coupe50h 09-01-2006 09:10 AM

IF you buy that bbk intake, repost and let me know how it runs, My only experience with it is of course, magazine test lol, But It definately looks good.

tmoss 09-01-2006 11:40 AM

Do a search on the major boards - it will be educational.............

meknized 09-01-2006 03:42 PM

Yeah I will definitely do that. Tmoss, what all do you do on porting the cobra/ GT-40 lower? How much gain can be found?

tmoss 09-01-2006 03:57 PM

I port the intake appropriately for your combo - gains on a typical ots cam combo are 12-15 HP, more if you get the combo really right with a custom cam.