MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   T5 tranny fluid? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=34452)

raptor 03-05-2003 02:45 PM

T5 tranny fluid?

Well I have my engine and tranny in. I drained the tranny when I had it out. I want to know if you can fill the tranny through the shifter or do I have to fill it through the drain/fill plugs?
Thanks

Coupe50h 03-05-2003 02:58 PM

I filled mine up through the shifter hole, i just took out the top fill plug and waited for it to drip out.

MEDIK418 03-06-2003 01:52 AM

IT's slow but it works, just put 3 quarts in and forget it. Official capacity is about 2.8 quarts but why quibble.

B2r3y 03-06-2003 01:58 AM

i have done both on my car. Pouring it through the shifter is really slow and takes a min to react. I suggest just getting a fluid pumper, i guess u could call it, and just fill it through the fill plug on the side. my preferance, its faster!
bryan

Maroon 5.0 LX 03-06-2003 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by MEDIK418
IT's slow but it works, just put 3 quarts in and forget it. Official capacity is about 2.8 quarts but why quibble.
Why quibble? Too much oil could cause aeration, which in turn could cause lack of lubrication to certain components in the transmission.

lx5091 03-06-2003 02:20 PM

.2 quarts isn't gonna hurt it! Come on!

When I bought my wifes Saturn, the thing shifted a little weird, so I checked the fluid and couldn't get a proper reading...very specific process on the Saturn so we bought it anyway she was driving it for a few days and complained so I drove it again. To get to operating temp then sat at idle for another 3mins like the manual says then checked it....it was showing that it was too low and it was also foamy, which told me it was overful...but it was a bit dirty so I decided to change it. I bought a new filter and 4 quarts of fluid(takes 3.5) and drained the tranny.....well I ran out of bucket because it had 7 QUARTS OF FLUID IN IT! Well I drained it put in a new filter and filled it to spec and checked it and all has been well since October! I guess we got lucky, but I doubt that .2 quarts would make a difference in his T-5.
:)

sn95gt19 03-06-2003 02:53 PM

i always take the shifter boot off, put a piece of hose on the end of a funnel, and run the hose down to the filler plug on the side of the trans. that way you can fill it from the inside, which is above the fill hole, instead of trying to get it in the fill hole from underneath or waiting for it to drain throught the shifter.

MEDIK418 03-06-2003 04:11 PM

Quote:

Why quibble? Too much oil could cause aeration, which in turn could cause lack of lubrication to certain components in the transmission.

Well. . .just so you know. I did check this while the transmission was open and .2 quarts makes about 1/8 inch difference in the level. If you think that there isn't aeration in a transmission that's whirring 3-5,000 rpm, no matter what the level, you should look in a blender next time you use it.

raptor 03-07-2003 01:22 AM

Thanks sn95gt19 I never thought of that good idea.
Thanks Guys