MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Ahhhh!!!! No!!! (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=37881)

drtbiker 07-13-2003 04:21 PM

Ahhhh!!!! No!!!

AHHH oh boy here we go again. SINGLE TIRE FIRE.... i think this is where my vibration is coming from on top speeds. What causes this. Did i break the c-clip...

thanks guys

TMAXXjj 07-13-2003 05:35 PM

If you broke the c clip the axle would have came out along with the tire, unless you had disc brakes and I guess that could hold it in. But the C clip is only there to hold in the axle. The splines on the axle are what make it turn. If you have a Trac lok rear end chances are you've burnt up or wore out the clutches in the clutch pak for the rear end.

drtbiker 07-13-2003 09:53 PM

well it is a stock rear end with 373's what could it be then

thanks

VeNuM 07-14-2003 09:07 AM

Most likely the clutches are worn in the rear end. ~Brian

drtbiker 07-14-2003 09:38 AM

how much work is that and what all does that intitle me to. I am still trying to decied what to do. I was thinking about parting out the car or bringing it back to stock and selling it but if i can get this mess all straightend out i think i may keep it. But then i have to worry about the emmisions.

thanks
raini

anyone know where i can get this fixed for cheap i dont like messing with rear ends.

silver_pilate 07-16-2003 09:50 AM

About $50-$60 for a traction lock rebuild kit. Place an extra clutch on each side to tighten it up. You can do it at home with a little knowhow.

--nathan

drtbiker 07-27-2003 12:31 AM

where is the best place to purchase this?

silver_pilate 07-28-2003 02:05 PM

Call a tranny/rear end shop in your area and ask if they sell the ford Traction Lock rebuild kits. If not, they can probably tell you where to get one.

--nathan

Coupe50h 07-28-2003 08:01 PM

I just recently rebuilt mine, and i've never even done it before, i bought mine(clutch paks) from the dealer 77$, the hardest part is getting the s-spring back in, and you can replace the spring with one from an f-150, and you will get more bite.
The spider gears were a little challenging, but i finished all mine in one day, taking my time.
I did go through some frustrating times, but it was worth it, no more "one wheel wonder":D
do a search to find some links, i followed a link from the corral, it had some pretty good info, like on how to get the spring back in, i did what they did, and used hose clamps, and a sledge hammer:)

drtbiker 07-28-2003 08:57 PM

nice thanks alot guys i really appreciate it

Simi Stang 07-29-2003 06:30 PM

F-150 spring?

Quote:

Originally posted by Coupe50h
the hardest part is getting the s-spring back in, and you can replace the spring with one from an f-150, and you will get more bite.
What year of F-150 can you use the s-spring out of? Did you end up reusing your stock one?

drtbiker 07-30-2003 01:01 AM

yeah what year, if i am going to do this i want to do it right the first time so i dont have to deal with this crap again....

Simi Stang 07-30-2003 02:48 PM

rearend rebuild

TTT. Any more info. you could give us would be greatly appreciated Coupe50h...