MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Cars Dead....AGAIN....Please Help (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=31820)

5.0L_Of_Fury 12-01-2002 10:05 PM

Cars Dead....AGAIN....Please Help

well as usualy my car is dead...ran strong last night...got up this AM to go to church...no run!..it will turn over all day and every now and then will hit...I have checked fuel,spark,injector pulse,and replaced the distributor........any suggestions?

12-02-2002 04:52 AM

Sounds like it turns over fine.

2 things you need for a motor to run

Spark and fuel

Somewhere along the line,it's not gettin one of these things.
Take and recheck things and take your time

fiveohpatrol 12-02-2002 01:01 PM

Have you checked the fuelpump inertia switch in the hatch?

sn95gt19 12-02-2002 01:34 PM

do you have an msd on the car or any after-market ignition?

blue302 12-02-2002 04:10 PM

It sounds like you have the same problem that I just encountered recently in my 89 GT. The problems I had, was the engine would crank but it will not turn on. Sometimes it would fire up, but it would quickly turn right off. I decided to just turn the ignition into to the on position and quickly realized that my fuel pump was not turning on. I decided to check the fuel pump relay (located under the driver seat) to see if I had voltage been applied at terminals 3 & 1. Terminal 1(+)&2(-) is your relay coil, when energized, will close your relay contact 3(+)&4 (ground at pump) applying a DC voltage to your pump. The relay and voltage checked out good, which meant that I had a bad pump. Once I had the pump out, I decided to test it and found that the pump was bad. Actually the pump turned on once I bang it a couple of times, but I decided to replace it anyways. So I think you probably have a bad pump or a bad fuel pump relay.

sn95gt19 12-02-2002 05:47 PM

the reason that i mentioned the msd was that a buddyof mine hooked up his msd to a power source that wasnt on in the start position, only in the on position. so he could crank it all day, but it would only get spark when the key sprung back, and by then it was mostly flooded. i would check the fuel pump relay, have heard of many people having that problem!

MustangGT1990 12-03-2002 12:59 AM

I just fought a similar problem on my 90 GT. The engine would turn over and try to start every now and then but it would instantly die. You said you replaced the distributor, right? Or just the rotor button and cap? Reason I ask...my problem was caused by a broken magnet in the pickup under the stator inside the distributor.

PKRWUD 12-03-2002 07:40 AM

It actually takes 4 things for an engine to run:
Fuel
Ignition
Air
Compression

You said you checked fuel, spark, and injector pulse, but you didn't say what you found. Were they all working properly? What is your fuel pressure?

Chevyguy 12-03-2002 11:47 AM

Two famous problems
TFI module
Ignition switch

Both can cause same problems you have. I have to assume a new TFI went in with the "replaced" distributor. The Ign switch can cause you to loose the IGN circut intermittently due to internal wear in the switch, they were also known for catching on fire too :eek:

My 88 2.3 Coupe just died while in line for a sticker, replaced the TFI cap rotor and wires (one fell apart when checking plugs) Even though the plugs seemed dry enough, if fired right up again and runs just fine now.

Of course the Dist cap was COMPLETELY stuck on. Had to pull the dist, bust off the cap. Ended up drilling out the old screws after breaking the rest off without any turning from the section threaded into the dist. Made a mess of the dist, but the new cap screwed down good enough to go.

Man what a PITA for a lousy $150 winter beater that my Bro is driving!!

5.0L_Of_Fury 12-03-2002 08:01 PM

well...went out to load on trailer to take to shop...just for giggles...tryed to start it...fired up like a charm....im confused to the point of insanity