MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Starter just spinning....need help please!!! (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=37326)

bigred90gt 06-17-2003 03:58 PM

Starter just spinning....need help please!!!

My starter on the stang wont engage. It just spins, but doesnt turn the engine over. It worked fine yesterday, and has for god only knows how long. I dont know what the hell happened, it just wont do anything. I need to fix it soon cause I'm not trying to rack up the miles on my truck. If anyone has any ideas, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Caymon

Dark Knight 06-17-2003 05:38 PM

1st, try rocking the car some in gear..in case it's a bad spot on the flywheel.. probably had the starter gear break though... pull it out :D

RDRZ 06-17-2003 08:34 PM

This doesn't sound like something that someone who knew cars would tell you to do, but before you take it out, tap it GENTLY with a hammer. Sometimes they stick - but you might have to end up putting a new (remanufactured) one in. When I changed mine, I got it from Napa because they have good quality parts and if it ever fails, they will replace it free. You just have to do the work of changing it.

bigred90gt 06-17-2003 09:37 PM

tried tapping it with a hammer today and it got me nowhere. I am gonna just bite the bullet and get another one. I think its time to get a better one. Got any suggestions?

PKRWUD 06-18-2003 03:35 AM

If it's just spinning, the solenoid, mounted on the starter, isn't working. Let me know how that bullet tastes. :D

Take care,
~Chris

FritzDaKat 06-18-2003 06:39 AM

Well, before you bite the $135-150 bullet on the new starter, remove the POS aluminum screws holding the housing together (and be sure to replace them witrh som quality metal, not that "Guaranteed to tear it's own head off if even slightly corroded" and check the internal connections for the solenoid just to be sure Jose from Guadelupe didnt make a poor solder joint or something thats finaly given way.

Worth a shot and 30 minutes of your time to investigate at least.

bigred90gt 06-18-2003 09:31 AM

Chris - The bullet tastes awsome, its the pain in the ***** that I wasnt looking forward to!!!

Fritz - It is only about 7 months old and should still be under warrenty, so the only real problem is getting it out and the new one in. Its not that hard of a job, but I have big hands and that makes it a pain.

FritzDaKat 06-18-2003 03:46 PM

Is it NOS or a remanufactured starter? If its remanufactured you run the risk of having the same trouble again. Might be worth the headache you face to investigate if anything. Just check to see if it's going to void the warranty or not by checking first.

I have the same trouble getting to my starter, 2.5" pipe in my way dosent help much either.

I had trouble with a couple of different brands of Alternators and starter' in the past, They would seem to last anywhere from a week to a year and it was back to Giant Auto parts for a replacement, Untill I broke down and tore them open and fixed the problems usualy resulting from shoddy workmanship &/or poor QC.

Dark Knight 06-19-2003 05:58 AM

pkrwud, if the starter is spinning, wouldnt that mean the solenoid is working?
RDRZ, ever have a bad ring gear on the flywheel? if you rock the car in gear some, it moves the flywheel.. if the engine cranks over then.. you know it isnt the starter..

I've replaced the starter once in mine.. in 16 years.. autozone special :-)

FritzDaKat 06-19-2003 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Dark Knight
if the starter is spinning, wouldnt that mean the solenoid is working?
No, that would mean the relay on the fenderwall was working.

The solenoid is the part of the starter that actualy engages the starter gear to the flywheel and run's paralell to the actual starter motor.

The relay on the fenderwall is what kick's in when you hit the key allowing the current to flow down at the starter solenoid / motor

bigred90gt 06-19-2003 11:35 AM

Starter was bad. Got a new one. Thanks for the help.

PKRWUD 06-19-2003 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by FritzDaKat
No, that would mean the relay on the fenderwall was working.

The solenoid is the part of the starter that actualy engages the starter gear to the flywheel and run's paralell to the actual starter motor.

The relay on the fenderwall is what kick's in when you hit the key allowing the current to flow down at the starter solenoid / motor

Dark Knight-
What Fritz said above is correct. On Ford starters, prior to the 93 Mustang, the relay was up top. In '93, they put the relay on top of the starter, just like GM does. In both cases, the solenoid is built into the starter. The relay passes current from the battery to the solenoid, the solenoid moves the gear in and out, so that it can engage the ring gear.

At least that's what they said on Horsepower TV! lol.

:D

Take care,
~Chris