MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What the heck am I pumping out of my exhaust? (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=37896)

MustangNewb 07-14-2003 11:53 AM

What the heck am I pumping out of my exhaust?

I've been trying to figure this out with no avail, my entire exhaust system seems to be running fine but it is pumping out alot of gray smoke that smells like burning track oil (like oil that is found in a CD-ROM or a childs toy). I have no idea what could be producing this amount of smoke and not be completley obvious on what it is. Help! Some guy in a Trans Am was giving me a funny look last night at the smell of my exhaust.

QuantumMotorsports 07-14-2003 12:43 PM

Sounds like maybe you're just burning a bang load of engine oil. Do you have to fill up with oil a lot? As far as what is causing it, could be anything from a leaking head gasket to bad rings, etc.

MustangNewb 07-14-2003 01:08 PM

It doesn't smell nor have the consistancy of burning motor oil, at least from my experiances. What other fluids could be burning up and going out my exhaust? It started happening after I did my usual maintence, oil/filter change (QuakerState, high mileage 10 30), windshield wiper fluid and anti-freeze (premixed 50/50 shell) were all I did this time round. Seems weird to me.

MustangNewb 07-14-2003 01:35 PM

Well something is wrong cause now I have 1/2 the Anti-freeze I put in, the engine needed a quart of oil and the tranny fluid was EMPTY. All this was checked and filled 250 miles ago, whatd I do?!

88fivepointoh 07-14-2003 01:58 PM

sounds lik eits time for a new car.. the head gasket is probably shot that is why your loosing the coolant. the tranny fluid must have a serious leak or is burning up the fluid and well the oil is probably wear and head gasket combined.. sorry buddy

MustangNewb 07-14-2003 02:05 PM

Not scrapping this car if I don't have to, just dropped $825 into it, gas tank, descending unit for the gas tank, kick back cable, steering arm, tension pullies.

I hope you're wrong, gonna take it to my friend a little later ask him to look at it... If not, it'll make a great conversion car, '89 LX Notchback, body, frame & interior in good-excellent condition :D

VeNuM 07-14-2003 02:48 PM

Sounds like a blown head gasket and a bad tranny, and that anti-freeze is going to eat the bearings in the motor, if it's in the cards, I would say it is time for a new car. ~Brian

QuantumMotorsports 07-14-2003 03:07 PM

Your motor is definately shot and could be salvaged with lots of work. Tranny sounds like it's leaking or just screwed also. Good luck man. Start looking for a V8 to put in that beast.

MustangNewb 07-14-2003 04:18 PM

Can I interest anyone in an 89 LX Notchback begging for a conversion? Real cheap in Bayside NY. Army is going to ask for too much of my time for the next few years for me to have a project car.

lx5091 07-14-2003 08:23 PM

You people are insane! Why are you all telling him to scrap the car!!! IT IS THE PERFECT CONVERSION....and it's a NOTCH! Man, I wish I had the cash.....

Problem is you won't get your $825 back as a non-running 4cyl...you need to fix it up and enjoy it with a fresh V8 install!!

MustangNewb 07-14-2003 08:55 PM

Don't have the time nor the money my man. Or the knowledge for that matter. I wouldn't even know where to begin.

VeNuM 07-15-2003 08:42 AM

I can see where he's coming from, I wouldn't think I'd have time to do a conversion right now, and he's going to be in the Army, that's a lot of your time taken up, sorry about your car, and good luck in your future. ~Brian

bigred90gt 07-15-2003 11:30 AM

If you do decide to sell it, would it only be locally, or would you ship it if buyer pays for shipping? I have been looking for a notch to dump my motor and tranny in and cant seem to find a decent one locally. Let me know, you may have a buyer.

Caymon

PS - Sorry for the bad luck. I know all about it.

MustangNewb 07-15-2003 12:30 PM

Hey if you wanna pay for shipping then by all means heh. Just gotta talk to a friend who's been eyeing it for a conversion ever since I got it, I'll let you know.

MustangNewb 07-15-2003 12:45 PM

If I had overfilled the coolant, could that be burning up and heading out my exhaust?

BilLster 07-15-2003 02:20 PM

overfilling the collant will just puke it onto the ground.

try the cheap stuff first like rad sealer and change the oil and trans fluid again.

if this doesnt work the head gasket isnt that big of a deal unless youve warped something.

good luck

MustangNewb 07-15-2003 02:55 PM

Could a badly changed oil filter be producing this ****? I'm just trying to exhaust (hah pun) all other options before I resign myself to a blown head gasket. I can live with adding a quart of tranny fluid every hundred miles.

Thanks for the help guys.

GhettoPop 07-15-2003 08:47 PM

Hey MustangNewb!
I'm in Bayside and interested in checking out your car. Send me a private message or email me:

ghettopop@hotmail.com

I live by cardozo.

ac97gt 07-15-2003 10:33 PM

im sorry i dont have an answer to your problems, but i was just reading this post and found it pretty funny that your exhaust question has turned into you ditching your car, and turned up a few potential buyers without even trying! :p who else loves mustangworks :D

MustangNewb 07-16-2003 02:05 AM

**** that ****. I want my head gasket to not be blown. :(

Was good gas mileage and still a stang! :D