MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums

MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums (http://forums.mustangworks.com/index.php)
-   Windsor Power (http://forums.mustangworks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   E-303 idles mean as hell I thought it was a mild cam. (http://forums.mustangworks.com/showthread.php?t=41461)

Dark_5.0 02-11-2004 06:39 PM

E-303 idles mean as hell I thought it was a mild cam.

I thought my idle would be close to stock with the e-303 cam but it is pretty damn lumpy. Everything is set and tuned right on the car it is just alot more aggressive sounding than I thought it would be.

BTW: I do not reccommend this cam. It is a real PITA to get your car to idle without surging below 1000 rpms.

I had to drill a 3/16 inch hole in my throttle body flapper to get it to idle right. Anyone else have to do this?

I hope this cam performs well with my combo cause it sure was a BIOTCH to get everything right.

Later,

302 LX Eric 02-11-2004 07:10 PM

Are you going to have it dyno tuned? If so, a nice custom autologic chip can solve your idle woes.

E

red82gt 02-12-2004 03:18 AM

Yeah, the 110* LSA gave for a pretty nice chop. I always got comments on my cam lope . I expected it to have a milder idle too.
I like my Comp XE 270HR a lot better, much more power in the middle and the idle has a much smaller lope.

Hozer 88GTConv 02-12-2004 10:06 AM

Hey Dark

I know what you are talking about.
I opted for the "softer" LSA of the B-cam, but wanted the lift of the E, so I used 1.7 rr's with the B to get the E's lift.
It made tuning a lot easier. I love the way they sound though, mine idles at 750-800 and I always get some comments on it.

94snake 02-12-2004 10:11 AM

E-cam

yea i have an E-cam in my car and it sounds mean as hell....it lopes like a mad man.....i never had idle problems or anything like that ...just popped it in and ran great....much much more midrange power with 1.7 rr's.....later

Dark_5.0 02-12-2004 12:18 PM

I thought about going with 1.7 RR but with 2.02 1.60 valves and 54cc chambers I dont think I would have enough clearance.

Falcons Talon 02-12-2004 12:48 PM

I was told that the b was much more aggressive than the e. WHICH IS IT???

Oh,
Dark 5.0, I received the spacer yesterday. It's in great condition!

Unfortunately I can't use it yet. Overhead hood clearance has become an issue, but when I get a Cobra R SVO, it's going right on!

Thanks again

Hethj7 02-12-2004 04:30 PM

I run the B-cam with 1.7 rr's. It sounds nice, but like others I have trouble getting the idle just right. I kind of got sick of messing with it, so I have the idle turned up just above 1000 rpm so it doesn't surge. Sometimes the computer will kick it down to 800 or so. It sounds pretty mean then.

Simi Stang 02-12-2004 07:46 PM

Re: E-303 idles mean as hell I thought it was a mild cam.

Quote:

Originally posted by Dark_5.0
I thought my idle would be close to stock with the e-303 cam but it is pretty damn lumpy.
You thought an E-303 cam would be similar in sound to the stocker??!! :eek: Yeah, both the E & the B cams sound pretty lopey. I run the B w/ 1.72 roller rockers and love the way it sounds. I have my idle right around 1000rpms...maybe a little lower. It idles pretty smooth. Has anyone else had to drill a small hole in their butterfly of the throttle body?

Dark_5.0 02-12-2004 08:22 PM

I wasnt very happy about having to drill my throttle body but there was no other way.

I have heard e303 cams in stock engines and they didnt sound nearly as mean.

I think my free flowing engine and exhaust set-up have alot to do with how mean it sounds.

I like it now that I have it tuned right. But I damn sure cant get away with telling someone that its pretty much stock anymore:D

SaleenGTS 02-13-2004 10:06 AM

What crackhead told you it was mild? The lift is mild, but the LSA and duration show that it has a lope...I had it, hated it.

It IS a "mild" cam as far as performance goes. I commonly see B cammed cars performing better than E cammed cars on the street. Different power curve.

I never had any problems with mine though unless I ran A/C, but I fixed that because there were some busted vaccum lines coincidentally.

Did you disconnect the Idle Air Control valve to re-adjust your idle? Did you disconnect your computer so it could relearn everything? A cam is a big mod because it changes your a/f mixture.

The lope is cool, you will like it after a while....for me it actually wasn't lopey enough!

Dark_5.0 02-13-2004 10:29 AM

I was looking for a better than stock streetable cam and came across this e303 cam dirt cheap so I went ahead and threw it in there.

As long as I can run 12's and drive it on the street now and then I will be happy with it.

Yeah man of course I unplugged the idle sensor and reset the ecu.;)

I guess the dyno will tell the story.

Coupe50h 02-17-2004 06:41 PM

e-cam

It is a pretty mild cam, if you guys remember i had a post about how i couldnt get my car to idle without surging/stalling?
That turned out to be the o2 sensors, also i had the idle set too low, now i have it idle about 900, sometimes it will drop down, and it sounds killer, i drive my car everyday, and havent had any idle problems since my old post.
Today my friend rolled up in his 93 gt with the new f-cam installed, that sucker was pretty lopey, made my car sound mild, but i think i can still whoop him:D

Dark5.0, it seems people that go to a bigger 2.02 valve aluminum head, and bigger cam, (like my friends 93) the exhaust note completley changes, that buddy of mine with the f-cam is about to get some turbo mufflers it's so damn loud:)
later......

Dark_5.0 02-17-2004 09:30 PM

I would have ran the F-cam but I dont think I have the clearance.

I may try putting 1.7 RR on the exhaust valves.

Southern MD LSC 02-18-2004 01:01 PM

Don't Drill Holes In Your Throttle Body!!

Don't do it! Install an adjustable idle spacer instead. I put one on my lincoln last fall and have had no more problems setting the idle speed. There's one on e-bay for $19.00.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=33553

Have a geat day!
Russ

sedanman 02-18-2004 06:56 PM

I loved my E cam it sounded good made good power and it was great for a daily driver. I then moved up to a trickflow stage 1 and it was very similar to the E cam as far as driveability and lope but it has a higher power band. I know have a B41 waiting to go in it should sound down right nasty.

Skyman 02-22-2004 09:54 PM

Yeah the E-cam has a louder idle than the B or F cam. I think it sounds damn good. I put 1.72's on mine and it sounds real mean now. My car made great power from 2500 on up with the edelbrock intake and 1.6's on the E-cam. I switched to a systemax II intake and 1.7's and I lost a TON of lowend, probably a combo of both. I gained power maybe 300rpms higher than before. My car was dying off around 5600, now its more like 5900-6000. And now the power doesnt come on till about 3500, not nearly as fun. My buddy car has a TFS #1 and it just pulls and pulls to redline, but a little less lowend than my first combo on the E-Cam.

And yes its a ***** to get it to idle. My car idles around 1100 rpm now.

429mustang 02-22-2004 10:39 PM

Whats the lift/duration on the TFS 1 cam? Would it go good with the Track heat intake and stock heads for now, and maybe eventually some twisted wedge/Track Heat or AFR 185's?

sedanman 02-23-2004 12:25 AM

The trick flow stage 1 (off the top of my head) is 498 510 and 220 224

If you run the trackheat on stock heads run a 3/8 spacer to get some low end back (beause it is gonna be a mismatch with stock heads).

SaleenGTS 02-23-2004 12:53 AM

The F is a lopeier idle then the E....512 lift vs. .498 and 114 lobe vs. 112, and 288 duration vs. 284. I had a F and a E...the F pulls harder and lopes more.

Sky, I bet yours is louder because of the rockers...