MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-28-2003, 09:09 PM   #1
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Question Pro 5.0 or Tri-Ax

Now I know this topic has been nearly beaten to the ground. I did a search and it seems like most people just LOVE the Pro 5.0 shifter and will take it any day over B&M, but I havent' found many Pro 5.0 vs. Tri-Ax shifter discussions. But since every time I hear about the Tri-Ax, I hear good news, I'm considering this too. I guess the biggest physical difference b/t the 2 is that the Tri is aluminum and the Pro is steel.

Now I need advice on comparison of the 2. Which is better? I'm looking for something that shortens the shifts and I like what I hear about the Tri-Ax helping you to hit 3rd everytime (even though I usually don't have a problem with it, but I dont' want to worry about missing it either). Also, I think it was the Tri-Ax I read that has a sort of clicking feeling when you shift to each gear which i think I would like.

Biggest problem are the long throws on the stock shifter. Still I don't want them excessively short either..... This is going on my street car. I dont' want anything too racey or something that will make shifting uncomfortable, but easier and more positive with shorter throws. I'm gonna put the stock knob and boot on it so it looks completely stock. I know also that Al is lighter than stainless steel and anything lighter than something else on my car catches my attention. ...and I don't see 6061 billet T6 aluminum bending or breaking anytime soon either.

Anyone have experience with Tri-Ax and Pro 5.0?????? What is so good about Pro 5.0 that I should get it over the Tri-Ax. It seems I'm kinda leaning towards the steeda shifter....
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;
14 x 4” K&N X-stream air filter.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video
Stock 5.0L, 2-chamber Flowmasters, MAC CAI, Tri-Ax, Al pedals...

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Fox Body is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:14 PM   #2
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I have the Pro 5.0 and I like it except one thing. I hate how short the handle is. I ordered a tri-ax handle to try this year. As soon as it arrives, I'll post the results.

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2003, 10:15 PM   #3
VeNuM
Registered Member

Daily driver, Tri-Ax. Car that WILL see strip duty, Pro-5.0. Why? The Pro-5.0 has stiffer springs and a much shorter handle. Get the Tri-Ax, put the handle in the low position to get a really short throw. Gooseneck handle is great for a daily driver. Got one in my car and love it. However, I'm switching to a Pro-5.0 when I get a TKO because then it will be a mostly strip car. Hope this helps. ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 03:43 AM   #4
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up

Yes, thank that does help, guys. Anyone else care to add their experiences???
Stock 5.8L under 4" cowl 'glass hood, C4 w/ Transgo shift kit, Holley 750 cfm, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake; Fluidyne Al radiator, Flexalite 175 electric fan, 1 5/8" MAC shorty headers, FRPP Al driveshaft; S&W 6-point cage; 2.5" Off road H-pipe, 2-chamber Flowmasters, 8.8" Rear w/ 3.55s; Weld wheels (15x6;15x8), Front: 225/60/15, Rear: 275/50/15 Nitto NT 555R Drag Radials;

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

"Red, thou art my companion. Hasten now your quickened metamorphosis to Green that I may conquer all who dare abide there beside me. May they be left thither behind burnt black." ---Fox Body
Old 04-29-2003, 11:46 AM   #5
sn95gt19
motors done......woohooo

-hurst (t-5) sloppy, broke 2 handles off
-hurst (tremec) REALLY SLOPPY, never again will i buy hurst
-blue thunder (cheap version of tri ax) ok little sloppy
-pro 5.0 THE ONLY SHIFTER I WILL EVER BUY

i personally like the very short handle on the pro 5.0

with all the other shifters i would biff 3rd gear 1/10 times, i havent missed ANY gears in 1 1/2 years with my pro 5.0

when it comes down to it they are both a lot better than hurst and the stocker, its pretty much personal preference

95gt lazer red (98 cobra clone)
Rice Haters Club Member #116
sn95gt19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2003, 11:48 AM   #6
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Ive got a pro 5.0 in my car and i love it. It also seems to help you find third gear when really going at it. The only thing im not huge on is that it is a little bit on the short side sometimes. But i love the shifter. But im also curious what the tri ax is like. I had the same decision as you and i ended up getting the pro 5.0 since it was readily available whereas the triax would have taken a little bit more time to find.
Old 04-29-2003, 12:01 PM   #7
richd
Registered Member

Never had any experience with either one but I'd buy the Pro50 personally. Of course, part of that is they are about 1/2 hour drive from me so I wouldn't have to wait for shipping

Also, I've heard that the handle on the Pro50 is very straight and that it sometimes interferes with radio operation (inserting/removing CDs, etc.) That could be easily fixed...I think fordmuscle.com or maybe someone on this board drilled four holes in a steel plate and used that to offset mount the handle.

Good luck,

Rich D.
richd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 11:02 AM   #8
squid
Registered Member

I have a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter and I can comment on the clicking you get changing gears. Mine clicks almost right before it goes into gear, sounds neat but I think it may be a tad slower shifting than a Pro shifter. I love the way it shifts into third, heck my two daughters fight over who gets to sit in the passenger seat and shift and even they never miss. Basically if you push straight up and down, its going to go right where you want it to. If you ever plan on adding a drink holder where the ashtray is then its almost impossible to use for anything but holding change, it interferes with the shifter handle.
Old 04-30-2003, 12:28 PM   #9
302 LX Eric
or '331 LX Eric'

Quote:
Originally posted by Stang_Crazy
I have the Pro 5.0 and I like it except one thing. I hate how short the handle is. I ordered a tri-ax handle to try this year. As soon as it arrives, I'll post the results.
I agree. Great shifter, just needs a tad longer handle.

E

331 cu. in. / Tremec 3550 / BFG Drag Radials

12.22 @ 114.31 mph - w/1.89 60'
302 LX Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2003, 08:28 PM   #10
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

Thumbs up

Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply. I really do appreciate it.

Seems like the consensus is that Hurst sucks (I wasn't considering it, but thanks for the extra info sn95gt19... Pro 5.0 is one of the best, but the handle is a bit too short. Tri-Ax is starting to win me over Pro 5.0 seems more suitable for a street/strip car and I'm going for a more street car (I already got a strip/street car). I want totally comfortable driving (I have long legs and the seat is usually almost all the way back on the rails) with shorter throws. This car will probably see the track 2 or 3 times per year if not less.

squid, thanks for commenting on the Tri-Ax.

JUst let me make sure.. DOes the Tri-Ax shorten the throws b/t gears? That's really all I want with smooth, solid shifting, and the complimentary 3rd gear handicap helps smooth over the deal also.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

Old 04-30-2003, 08:59 PM   #11
squid
Registered Member

Yes the tri-ax has very short throws , I have mine set on the shortest handle length. good luck!
Old 05-01-2003, 04:02 PM   #12
VeNuM
Registered Member

The shifter will definately shorten yours throws. I have mine in my daily driver in the lower position (shorter throws) and it is still confortable. ~Brian

Coming not so soon: 408w

Ricer Hater's Club Member #59
VeNuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 09:36 PM   #13
Fox Body
Mustang Maniac

COOL. Well thanks. I believe I'll be buying the Tri-Ax soon. Thanks again for your help guys.

'92 GT (5-speed)
Small In Car Video

Old 05-04-2003, 06:26 PM   #14
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

My Tri-ax handle came this weekend and I put it on today. The first thing I noticed was that the handle is angled toward the driver. Very nice! It's alot lighter than the Pro 5.0 handle (obviously) and bolted up in 5 minutes.

Driving with it is amazing. I used to miss 3rd every now and then with my Pro 5.0 handle because it was too short for me. With the Tri-ax, I didn't miss third once today. The handle is a little longer than the Pro 5.0 which makes the throw a tad longer but I couldn't really tell.

So far, I'm loving the Pro 5.0 base/Tri-ax handle combination. I can't wait to get to the track and really test it out!

89' GT : Taking up garage space and waiting for a buyer...

Rice Hater's Club - Member #11
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote