MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 04-15-2001, 08:02 PM   #1
cmd
Registered Member

Question Problem with timing for a 302 HO.

I need help with my 83'GT. It has some lite mods but still has the stock ignition. The main problem I have now is that I can not get it to run. I no that the timing is way off. A friend of mine told me he could fix it, but he is the one that messed it up.

Thanks!
cmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2001, 09:58 PM   #2
QuantumMotorsports
Registered Member

To get the timing close, turn the crank by hand with a wrench on the crank end bolt until the timing mark is right on the arrow for correct timing. Take the distributor cap off and look to see where the rotor is pointing. With the timing mark in the correct location the rotor should be pointing either straight at the #1 cylinders point or 180 degrees from the #1 cylinders point(on a four cycle engine the piston hits TDC (top dead center) twice in it's cycle, once when it is pushing exhaust out and about to take air in, and once when firing. Make sure it is at one of these two places and try and crank it over. If it won't start, pull the distributor out and rotate the rotor 180 degrees and slide the distributor back in. Try again. Be very careful while doing this and if you're not very experienced you might want to find someone who can help. Good luck.

------------------
Michael Black
Quantum Motorsports
Norman, Oklahoma

1988 Merc Cougar 5.0 HO, Ported and Polished E7TEs, 2.25" duals w/ 2 chamber flowmasters, T5 tranny
New E/T!!!
14.626 @ 94.94mph, 2.194 60' time, a little better than last time. Keep in mind this thang is heavy (3590lbs) Finally 14s!!!!

QuantumMotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2001, 08:53 PM   #3
cmd
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Hi, Just want to say Thanks, I did what you said and I am on the road today. And it feels go to have the stang running again.

Quote:
Originally posted by QuantumMotorsports:
To get the timing close, turn the crank by hand with a wrench on the crank end bolt until the timing mark is right on the arrow for correct timing. Take the distributor cap off and look to see where the rotor is pointing. With the timing mark in the correct location the rotor should be pointing either straight at the #1 cylinders point or 180 degrees from the #1 cylinders point(on a four cycle engine the piston hits TDC (top dead center) twice in it's cycle, once when it is pushing exhaust out and about to take air in, and once when firing. Make sure it is at one of these two places and try and crank it over. If it won't start, pull the distributor out and rotate the rotor 180 degrees and slide the distributor back in. Try again. Be very careful while doing this and if you're not very experienced you might want to find someone who can help. Good luck.

cmd is offline   Reply With Quote