MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-19-2001, 12:42 AM   #1
Vector
Registered Member

Post On propane?

1990 FORD MUSTANG GT, 5.0L. 5 spd. on propane, only 108,000 kms, local, no accidents, save on gas

I've never heard of a Mustang run on propane before. What are the differences between this and a regular 5.0? What does this do for the power?
Vector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 12:55 AM   #2
macx
Registered Member

A number of years ago when propane was still cheap, it used to be a popular optinal fuel for light trucks that saw lots of miles. It has less BTU's of energy per gallon of gas, so your mileage and/or power output will be less than with gas unless you make some mods like higher compression. Propane burns slower than gas, so you can raise compression to about 11-1 depending on cam duration which will gain back your lost power and mileage. Propane has absolutely no particulates or tiny solids, so never contaminates the oil. Propane engines typically last just about forever because there's no suspended solids (unburned fuel as in carbon deposits) in the oil scouring away at everything. Tanks have to be pressurized and are expensive and inconvenient to fill.
macx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2001, 06:34 AM   #3
Jeff Chambers

Yep, here at NASA Glenn Research Center in Cleveland, we worked with a drag racer a few years back and helped him put together a propane powered rail. I didn't work on the project so I couldn't tell you much about it, but I think he was an IHRA racer. It made the local news broadcasts for a few days but then I never heard another thing about it. Propane just doesn't have the BTU content of gasoline so I'd have my doubts on its use in high performance applications; works great in mass transit/fleet applications though.

------------------
Jeff Chambers
Trophy Stock #3
11.462 Seconds / 117.43 MPH
Chambers Racing Team
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote