MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 11-16-2002, 01:04 PM   #1
Coupe50h
Registered Member

Unhappy puddle of oil under car...

Just installed rockers, and i assume i didnt get the valve cover sealed up right, the driverside seem's to be leaking, although it's hard to tell? i got underneath to look, all i could see is oil everywhere, (not on the pan) but under the sparkplug boots and head.
i used mr gasket cork gaskets with no rtv, is this why it leaks? i guess im pulling the plennum off today, but if i buy more cork gaskets, and rtv them, is it going to solve the leak? guess i had to learn the hard way.
X-Texas highway patrol ssp 1990 coupe - exploder Gt-40 iron heads, Explorer intake, 19 lber's. E-cam. crane 1.7 rollers. 190fp. 75mm maf. 65mm tb, tubular subframe connectors, mac cai, Asp crank pulley, T-5, king cobra clutch, flowtech 1-5/8 unequals, mac X-pipe Frpp driveshaft, lakewood Lca's.
race weight 3,160

12.69 @ 107.35, 1.71 60' 26x8.5 drag's 3.90 gear

13.20 @ 106.91 - 235/60/15 firestones 2.3 60' 3.27 gear
Coupe50h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 04:37 PM   #2
MEDIK418
Registered Member

I've been having good luck with Fel-pro gaskets. You might try using RTV black or some other semi-hardening sealer on the valve cover side, put the gasket on the valve cover and let it set a bit to make sure it sits correctly on the cover then put it on the engine. This has worked very well for the last few I did this on. THis way, if you need to remove one later, the engine side will pop loose easily and if the gasket isn't smushed too bad, you can re-use it.
1986 four-eyed LX coupe, 358 Cleveland, Tremec TKO600/centerforce clutch, dish cut Probe forged pistons, comp cams hyd.roller cam, .579/.588@224/230, Edel.performer, 670 holley street avenger, CPR custom built long tubes, ported and polished 4bbl heads, manley valves, beehive springs, MSD peo-billet dist/MSD6AL, fluidamper, 5 lug conv. with 17x8 bullits there's more but it's still not finished yet.
Oh, and the oldest boy is turning his 89 GT into a FFR cobra this next summer.
MEDIK418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 05:07 PM   #3
jayinpa
Registered Member

Same here, I usually put the gasket on the valve cover with some gasket sealer and let it sit for about an hour while i putz with something else and then I put it on the car. No leaks yet.

JAY
jayinpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2002, 05:15 PM   #4
PKRWUD

I prefer the reusable rubber lined steel gaskets, but they aren't as cheap. If you do use cork, get some Gasgacinch instead of silicone! Best stuff out there.

Take care,
~Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote