MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-27-2001, 08:07 AM   #1
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

Post Help with Pulley Install

I have had my ASP pulleys sitting in the box for too long now. I was going to install them myself in the garage. Is this a difficult project to do?? Is it a one man job or should I get someone to help me with it? About how long should it take?

I also have a short belt that I could put on. Is it worth it to bypass the smog pump? Will this free up some horsepower?

------------------
89 GT 5-speed: Dynomax Cat-Back, Dynomax H-pipe w/cats, Pro 5.0, Densecharger
Waiting for install: ASP Pulleys, Short Belt
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 09:43 AM   #2
kevknotch88
Registered Member

The only install problem I had was that it took an air impact gun to get the old alt pulley off.

The short belt will help because it allows you to remove the pump. Less weight.
kevknotch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 11:40 AM   #3
LX5liter
dude5l

Hi Crazy,

It would be best to leave the smog pump attached and functional. It will only gain you 1-2 h.p. and without the air going into your cats when your engine is cold the cats will plug up faster than normal. if you had an off road h-pipe it wouldn't be a problem.

------------------
Good luck!

B.R.
L.X. 5.0 coupe
Cruise control,power mirrors,...and Thats it!
( except for the supercharger )
LX5liter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 12:48 PM   #4
Stang_Crazy
It's never clean enough!

I'll probably end up buying a SN95 alternator next weekend and then trying to tackle the pulleys. I'll be sure and let everyone know how it goes and if I run into any problems.

------------------
89 GT 5-speed: Dynomax Cat-Back, Dynomax H-pipe w/cats, Pro 5.0, Densecharger
Waiting for install: ASP Pulleys, Short Belt
Stang_Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2001, 02:00 PM   #5
Phantom5oh
Registered Member

I have the ASP Pulleys on my car, when you install them, use Allen Head bolts! If you try and use the stock hex heads they will be wicked hard to get on and tight as there isn't enough room to get a socket or wrench on them. Hope this helps.

Steve

------------------
Project Bird Turd

GNC Racing Performance
Scarzi's Machine Works
Phantom5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 05:31 PM   #6
USMC302
Registered Member

There are two sets of pulleys out there a drag set and a street set, the crank pulleyon the drag set is very very and the street set is just a little smaller than the stock. If you get the drag set you will have to upgrade your alternator or there will bea charging problem. I would recommend that whichever pulley set you get to keep the smaller of the two alternator pulleys on to maximize charging.You will need to get a different size belt too! AsLX5liter said if you have an offroad pipe then go ahead and bypass the smog pump.

------------------
88LX NOTCH 5.0, TFS Twisted Wedge Aluminum heads, 2.02 1.60 valves, BBK shorties unequal 1 5/8, off road H-pipe, Flowmasters, Drag lites, custom grind cam, solid motormounts, Aluminum Driveshaft, BBK springs, lakewood 90/10 50/50 shocks, BBK upper and lower control arms, 4.10 gears, centerforce DF clutch, adjustable BBK clutch cable with aluminum quadrant, Billet Steel flywheel, 70mm Acufab Throttle Body,MAC cold fender mount induction, K&N, 3 core radiator, flex-lite-fan, custom hardened push-
USMC302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2001, 05:37 PM   #7
USMC302
Registered Member

Sorry about that I meant to say very very small!

------------------
88LX NOTCH 5.0, TFS Twisted Wedge Aluminum heads, 2.02 1.60 valves, BBK shorties unequal 1 5/8, off road H-pipe, Flowmasters, Drag lites, custom grind cam, solid motormounts, Aluminum Driveshaft, BBK springs, lakewood 90/10 50/50 shocks, BBK upper and lower control arms, 4.10 gears, centerforce DF clutch, adjustable BBK clutch cable with aluminum quadrant, Billet Steel flywheel, 70mm Acufab Throttle Body,MAC cold fender mount induction, K&N, 3 core radiator, flex-lite-fan, custom hardened push-
USMC302 is offline   Reply With Quote