MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 03-04-2004, 11:46 AM   #1
Hozer 88GTConv
Registered Member

Default Pulling cylinder head tips

I am pulling them to see if I have a blown head gasket or something wrong with the rings on number 5 right now.

Besides, there is so much oil residue and crap in the combustion chamber(from the looks of the new plugs I put in, then after one days use they look like total crap), I gotta clean it out.

Any rec's would be appreciated that would save time.
Can I pull the whole intake manifold off as a single unit so I don't have to buy new upper/lower gaskets? The only thing I think I need is a fuel rail decoupler.
Hozer 88GTConv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 02:25 PM   #2
RoadWarrior
Registered Member

Just take your time and make sure you know where everything hooks up to. Some people like to take pics before so they know exactly where all the wiring harnesses go. So just take your time and try not to drop one on your foot. The stock heads are heavy as hell and they would do alot of damage to anything they land on.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:05 PM   #3
USMC302
Registered Member

Quote:
Can I pull the whole intake manifold off as a single unit so I don't have to buy new upper/lower gaskets? The only thing I think I need is a fuel rail decoupler
You can as long as you are able to reach the lower intake bolts under the plenum. Remember there is a torqing sequence for the lower intake upon reinstallation, the weight of the upper on top may throw this reading off just a bit.

1.Be sure to buy the set of disconnects as the return line and feed line are different sizes.

2.Do you have an air compressor? Once the heads are off you will need to blow any and all debre out of the cylinder before reassmebly, also make sure to keep up with the dowels, they make for an easy reinstallation as well.

3.I have always upgraded or swapped parts wehn going that deep, but was advised to keep the pushrod placement in order so they will go back in the same spot as well as the rockers. The pushrods have mated up to the lifters and rockers and you want to keep them that way.

4 Last tip: Go ahead and bring the engine to TDC before putting the heads back on since you can see the pistons, it makes stabbing the dist an breeze after the intake is on.

Good luck.