View Single Post
Old 02-17-2002, 09:41 PM   #11
PKRWUD

Chris-

Update on the Sprint car engine:

Jim (car owner) and I don't agree on who should do our machine work. He, however, is the boss, so we go with his guy. We got the block sleeved okay, but when he was decking the block, he took off more than he should have, which put our valves and our pistons into each other, or at least would have if we hadn't checked. As a result, we had no choice but to install copper head gaskets, which are a little thicker, and provide the clearance we need. I've clayed them twice now, and they appear to be okay. We are definately talking about a new block next year though, if not sooner. The lifters and rockers needed to be replaced, but we already knew that, and I got that done this week. The engine is just about ready to be installed, and we'll probably do that in the morning. We were going to do it today, but he had prior arangements with his wife that he had forgotten about, and I wanted to watch the race. On top of that, it rained for a little bit this morning, and created a "cold, damp, unpleasant work environment", according to Jim. Must be So Cal, right?

We also rebuilt the rear end and reinstalled it this week. The Winters "Quick Change" rear end is designed with a "permenant" ring and pinion, and quick change final gears. The ring and pinion looked worn, but certainly good enough for another season, but Jim elected to replace them with a newer set he picked up somewhere.

Last night was the Trophy Banquet, and we all got to sit around and get drunk, and then have to get up and say something when the trophies and jackets were presented. We were rolling by nights end! next Saturday is the first of two open practices at the track, and our goal was to be there for both, but it's starting to look like we'll have to wait for the open practice the following Saturday to make sure everything is cool. That is the one thing that kinda sucks about a Sprint car; you can't fine tune it on the street in front of your house!

The Orange and Blue paint scheme is okay. It's taking some getting used to, but it will work. I'll try and remember to take some pics.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote