MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-21-2002, 12:12 PM   #1
drtbiker
Registered Member

Default Pulling Engine

I am pulling my engine soon... to put in a new motor but i was wondering what the easiest way to do it is, do u take the trans off, or keep it on that is what i heard. I have 87 mustang 5spd gt

thanks alot

raini
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 02:56 PM   #2
glxstang
Registered Member

Just did this not too long ago. Keep the trans connected but you will need a engine leveler attached to your hoist. The leveler came with the hoist I bought at Costco. When the engine strats to come out of the engine bay you can tilt it more downward then level it off once it comes out. I could't imagine doing this without one. It was my first engine that I ever removed......Alot of Fun!

Goodluck!!
glxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 06:28 PM   #3
Unit 5302
Registered Member

It's easy enough to do with a helper. If you leave the transmission attached, the engine will naturally tilt down on the transmission end.

I've done all my pulling with a chain hoist. Just make sure you check and make sure all the connections have been removed. I like to make sure the engine is moving freely every few inches or so.
Unit 5302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2002, 07:52 PM   #4
PKRWUD

If you use a cherry picker, make sure all the debris that has fallen on the ground while getting ready to pull the engine is swept up. Nothing sucks more than a cheap hoist that starts to buckle because one of the forward casters jambed against a nut that wasn't swept up, and the hoist starts to fall to the side, and the engine takes out the fender.

Or something like that (it's a very long, very forgetful story).

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 01:21 AM   #5
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Chris, I wanna see some pictures of that disaster

Wouldn't it be a little easier to unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing and just pull the motor/bellhousing assembly out? This way you dont have to mess with dropping the h-pipe, driveshaft and tranny mount. Well I guess you wouldnt HAVE to drop the h-pipe if the tranny were going out the top, but it would probably be easier that way.

I ask because I'll be pulling my motor in a few weeks and wondered what experience has taught some of you guys. I've pulled the motor before, but thats when it was an AOD. And I wouldn't have been fun to pull that slushbox out with it attached to the motor.

what would you reccomend? (sorry to take over your threaddrtbiker )
Old 06-22-2002, 02:14 AM   #6
PKRWUD

Quote:
Originally posted by fiveohpatrol
Chris, I wanna see some pictures of that disaster
Actually, it happened to a buddy of mine, and no pics were taken, but it was ugly. I didn't see it happen, but I saw the results. Nasty.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 06-22-2002, 10:17 AM   #7
Oldschoolpony
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fiveohpatrol

Wouldn't it be a little easier to unbolt the tranny from the bellhousing and just pull the motor/bellhousing assembly out? This way you dont have to mess with dropping the h-pipe, driveshaft and tranny mount. Well I guess you wouldnt HAVE to drop the h-pipe if the tranny were going out the top, but it would probably be easier that way.

I
what would you reccomend? (sorry to take over your threaddrtbiker )
It would be easier to pull the trans first, IF you had a lift. Just go under and unbolt everything. But, Most of us dont Short story, Just bought a C-4 from a fellow in Lyons GA, had the car stored in a garage at an old peanut farm, Walked in an there was a 30 year old lift(the old kind that lifts from the frame and comes out of the floor) man did it make life easy. End of story. But if no lift pull it all at once. Id drop the H pipe so the tail of the tranny doesnt get caught up. And dont forget a big pan. when that trans tilts, its going to dump alot of its fluid.
Oldschoolpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2002, 03:27 PM   #8
PKRWUD

4 layers of Siran Wrap, and a couple rubber bands, will keep the fluid from coming out the tail of the tranny.

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
Old 06-24-2002, 11:57 AM   #9
drtbiker
Registered Member

thanks guys much appreciated, just a couple more questions how did u guys mark all of the wires and hoses? That looks like the biggest pain. I am going to pull it ou when i get back from vacation in about a week ill let u guys know how it went.

thanks again,
Raini
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2002, 12:23 PM   #10
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

Most of the wiring and hoses are bent and formed to where they will only lay one certain way, and most of the connectors are different, so this makes it much easier when putting it all back together.
But on the stuff I didn't think I could remember where it went, I just took small pieces of masking tape and put one on both sides of the connection, then mark the same number on both pieces. so you just have to match the numbers together.
They sell tape pieces like that with numbers already on it, but I'm a cheapass
Old 06-24-2002, 04:27 PM   #11
drudis

Its been covered before in the archives...

I (MANY, many times) pulled the motor/tranny as one unit. Found that to be the easiest.
This time, I already had the tranny out for service, and decided to upgrade the motor... so I pulled the motor separately.

http://www.dariusrudis.com
drudis is offline   Reply With Quote