MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-12-2002, 01:19 AM   #1
cop-coupe
Registered Member

Question push rod length ????

O.K. this is really %&*#@%* with my mind, I took my gt40 heads, which have indy cylinder head 1.6 rrs off of my old motor put them on my new motor, installing new crane push rods that are the same length as my old ones, also used the same came as before (had just a few miles on it) and now I don't have enough adjustment on my rocker arms to tighten them up(not even close) what the &%$# am I missing. It seams to me they should adjust up just the same or close as before........ thanks for the help...
cop-coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 05:15 AM   #2
PKRWUD

Same lifters too?

How did you set the preload?

Take care,
-Chris
Peckerwoods Pit Stop

Support Your Local
RED & WHITE!
PKRWUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 04:32 PM   #3
cop-coupe
Registered Member

I used new lifters, they are stock replacement lifters I did not compare them side by side but I am pretty sure they are the same length.

now about pre load I have no idea what that exactly means, I took the lifters out of the box put assembly lube on them and put them in, before I tried to adjust the rockers I used a 1/4" socket, extension, and my cordless drill in reverse to turn the oil pump to pressurize the lifters, I did this on the suggestion of a tech guy at Summit.

If I try to adjust the intake just as the exhaust starts to open the adjustment screw goes down far enough to stop the push rod from turning put the adj. screw is so far down into the rocker that the jam not has no threads to attach too.

Is it possible for my new block to be different in some way to cause the push rods to be longer, every thing else so far seams to fit just fine, timing chain, and intake I test fitted last night just incase and they all fit just fine. If I need to go with a longer push rod how do I determine how long a push rod I need....

thanks for any help you can give..
Kevin
Old 05-13-2002, 06:24 PM   #4
LX XLR8R
Dirk Diggler

so you are using all your old stuff besides the block and you have new pushrods and new lifters..
i have heard that not all lifters are the same size..check that and check to make sure the push rods are the same size..other than that make sure the rockers are flat on the heads
was this a roller motor b4?we are not talking about a 69ish motor are we??
check the old stuff with newe stuff 1st

You might want to hold on..i saw this on a cartoon once
LX XLR8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2002, 04:25 PM   #5
cop-coupe
Registered Member

It was not originaly a roller motor but how do I tell the model year of the block. thanks
1990 spec. serv. coupe w/306 (Indy Perf. Mustang Not Recomended), C-4 w/3000 stall, b-303, gt-40 heads and intake, 1.6rr, 1" spacer, fms valve covers, mac cold air intake, bbk equil shorties, Mac pro chamber, 2.5" flows, under drives, 65mm t.b. , fms 9mm wires, trunck mount battery, 24lb inj., 73mm C&L, 155lph pump. msd digital 6a, flex-a-lite,