MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-31-2002, 10:07 AM   #1
gentb
Registered Member

Default Puzzled on my brakes

I'll try and be brief. Thank goodness it's not a daily driver. I have a hard pedel and am unable to lock front wheels. It's almost like anti locks but I don't have anti lock. I have replaced both rear wheel cylinders, the master cylinder (NAPA), the right front caliper (I have a left) and the front/rear balancer. A friend that is a certified Ford mechanic has been helping me. He says I have enough vacuum at the booster. I still suspect the booster. I have ordered new emergency brake cables because of a problem we found. If you pulled the brakes up they won't release. The shoes pull sort of out of round. I've never seen this. We have bleed and bleed and bleed the system (even pressurized it). I'm going to replace the left caliper this weekend. When I had new struts put in the guy put new pads on the front. I told him to use good stuff. My Ford guy thinks the front pads are that hard. I haven't tried getting them super hot and then trying to lock up. I may put on some cheap pads just to check this. Has anyone changed the booster with out dropping the dash? Looks like it might could be done.
Any ideas anyone?
Old 01-31-2002, 05:35 PM   #2
novi408
Registered Member

It sounds like it is your booster. You may have a vacuum leak internal to the booster which would cause a decreased output or possibly no power assist at all from the booster which would explain the hard pedal. You can pull the booster out without pulling the dash. On my '88, I can get at 2-3 of the nuts with a ratchet, but one of them is a PIA to get at even with a stubby wrench. One way to check if you can and have a gauge, is apply a vacuum to the booster and then remove the vacuum source and see if the vacuum level decreases. In a good booster, there should be no significant decrease over several minutes. You would have to have your vacuum gauge between the check valve and the booster. Hope this helps.

'03 Cobra, JLT CAI, Magnaflow catback
novi408 is offline   Reply With Quote