MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 12-06-2001, 01:40 AM   #1
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Quarter Glass Trim... HELP!

O.K. I have an '89 coupe with the common sun dried quarter glass molding. Has anyone found that a glass shop can order just the rubber molding or do I have to get a whole new or used glass? These quarter glass pieces cost around $600 a piece new. There is no way in hell that I am going to spend that much when I only need a piece of rubber molding! I would rather have new heads and let the darn thing leak water. Anybody know of an answer? Aftermarket maybe?
Old 12-06-2001, 02:54 AM   #2
1BAD89
Tubbed and Juiced

http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/windowMolding.htm

$100 for both of them.
1BAD89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2001, 03:33 AM   #3
Bad89stang
Registered Member

Default Thanks!

You the man! Just what I was looking for. Thanks.
Old 12-07-2001, 10:46 AM   #4
fiveohpatrol
I'd rather be basketweaving

well two things about those...

One, they look like absolute crap because they just go on top of your old ones and stick out too far. cheap looking

Two, even if they did look good it wouldn't matter because they don't make them for coupes.

so you and i are basically SOL

the only advice i can give is to repair the ones you have or if yours are REALLY bad, find a decent pair used somewhere

If they arent too horrible you can sand the hell out of them and then use trim paint. I wonder if there is a rubber type filler that you could work into it, let it harden then sand and paint?
Old 12-07-2001, 01:53 PM   #5
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

I just called all around Terre Haute and asked the guys at the best body shops what can be done and they all said nothing will stick. I also called a guy at an auto glass place and he said that maybe Urethane would do the trick. He said it's pretty strong stuff and should stick, but the hard part will be sanding it smooth. It's worth a shot.
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2001, 02:51 PM   #6
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Default Solutions

Bad89:

The quarter-window mouldings going bad is a long-standing problem for Fox-bodied Mustangs.

Some owners have had success with sanding them down and painting them, but this if iffy.
My body guy said he wouldn't try it; mine were too thin from 11 years of weathering (no garage).

He offered to get me new quarter glass (with the mouldings) for $380. each, installed. Sweet deal considering list price of close to $600. each but a total of $740. for what amounts to some plastic trim was too much for me to agree to.

Tough call. I decided to just let mine go as my paint is just so-so and with lots of Armor-All, the trim doesn't look too bad until you get right up to it. If I ever repaint, I'll be forced to go for new windows/mouldings. Ouch. Maybe next year.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 02:45 AM   #7
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

You had better get them while you still can. I called around today and everybody told me Ford quit making them.

Maybe now they will let the aftermarket have a stab at making these. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Project: 1988 Coupe - EFI 5.8L Twin Turbo with Victor intake, Canfield heads, F303 cam, March aluminum underdrive pulleys, TKO (or T56 if funds permit), PBR twin piston calipers and 13" rotors up front, 94 Cobra rear calipers and 12" rotors on the rear, 3.73's, Griggs K-member, tubular front control arms, torque arm and panhard bar, polished 99 Cobra wheels.

"The GR-40 kit installation is now complete, and the humble Fox-chassis car will now out-corner and out-stop a ZR-1 or a Viper, and support massive horsepower additions with perfect balance."
Griggs Racing

ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2001, 03:07 AM   #8
Valdnv
Registered Member

Exclamation

Keep trying local wrecking yards for coupes coming in . you will find them with good quarte rwindow seals (ones that had been garaged and escaped the UV damage). They are few and far between, but they are out there to be had for a fraction of the cost of new ones.

I've seen the Steeda Apliques....they just don't look natural(IMHO). Good luck, don't give up hope.