MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 01-25-2002, 10:08 PM   #1
must86
Registered Member

Question Ques. for Lentech Transmission Owners

I thinking about buying one of there transmissions and have a few questions. How long have you had the transmission and about how many miles on it street driving and how many 1/4 miles passes are on it? How do you like the feel on the street?

Thanks Jerry
must86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 10:24 AM   #2
Jeff Chambers

I've had mine for more than a year now. Though my car doesn't see street duty, I can tell you that its one fine piece of work for the strip. I put more than 100 passes on mine at the track last year without the slightest of problems. It has been absolutely the best money I've ever spent on my car. The transbrake is lightning quick, probably the quickest on the market. The shifts are quick and sharp. The way that Lentech has reengineered the power flow avoids all of the weaknesses of the original OEM design. They have their AODs running behind cars with as much as 1000hp+ and the trannies hold up to the abuse. I've visited their shop in Canada and its 100% top-notch. Every trans and valvebody gets dyno tested before leaving the shop. They have a small, but dedicated, staff that puts their personal pride into every build. The attention to detail is second-to-none.

I busted three T5s the season before I switched to the Lentech. With the Lentech our car picked up a full .6 seconds and nearly 5mph without any significant engine changes. It just goes to show how much more efficient the Lentech is compared to my driving with the T5. I'll never go back!

Just ask Len, Chris or Ross about our car and they'll tell you how much the Lentech has improved our performance and consistency. I didn't have the most powerful or quickest car in the class this year, but I consistently went rounds (six semifinals in eight races) not only because of the quickness/smoothness of the tranny, but also because it was trouble-free week in and week out.

The support doesn't end with the sale either. The staff will always take the time to provide technical support and advice on the application and they stand behind their warranty. Plus they're always working on ways to improve the product.

They get a "10" in my book.
CRT Performance
2001 Tropic Green Mustang GT - 12.181 / 113.2 MPH
2002 Ford F-250 Crew Cab 7.3l Power Stroke - 17.41@77.2

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Jeff Chambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 11:15 AM   #3
silver_pilate
DURKA DURKA!!

Jeff,

Sounds like you're a satisfied customer. Seeing as how I can't pony up the money for one of their transmissions, I have been considering buying one of their valve bodies. What do you think about this? Is it possible I will see any et differences with the valve body? Actually, even if I don't see any changes in the 1/4, I know that it will lengthen the life of my tranny, and it will eliminate the problem I've been having of the tranny slipping into OD from 3rd while the shift lever is still in D.

Also, how does the tranny act when shifting. I know that now I have to anticipate shifts by around 500 rpms because of the lag of the shifts. Does the Lentech shift immediately when you throw the lever? That's what I'm looking for.

FYI...
And if you check out the links page on Lentech's website (http://www.lentechautomatics.com), my website (Pony Nation) is listed!

--nathan
'91 GT, Coast 347, 9.5:1 compression, full intake, Wolverine 1087 cam, exhaust, Keith Craft ported Windsor Jr. Irons (235 cfm intake, 195 cfm exhaust), AOD, PI 3500 converter, Lentech valve body, 3.73's (4.10's in the works), and Yokohama ES100's out back.

Daily Car: '04 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6MT
silver_pilate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 02:03 PM   #4
Green9550
Resident Redneck

I am also thinking about getting a Lentech automatic for my car. When lentech states that a tranny can handle 400hp, is that flywheel hp? I was also wondering if they had an AODE automatic that is rated higher than juist the 400hp. I am planning to put heads cam and intake on my car in the spring, I think should have close to 400 fwhp, and I know that my stock tranny will not handle that power too long. Thanks.

-Billy
95' GT: 306, XL Ross Pistons, Ultra Lite H-beam Rods, Forged Scat Crank, 28oz Romac, 28oz JW flexplate, FTI ported RPM II intake, FTI ported AFR 165's, FTI custom cam, 75mm BBK Throttle body, 80mm Pro-M, 4800 PI stall, PA Super Comp AODE, Strange 33 spline race axles, Strange ultra lite spool, Motive lite 4.30's, Strange rear race brakes, Mega bite seniors, double adjustable uppers w/spherical bushings, Racecraft anti-roll bar, LPW rear end girdle, Metco d/s loop, A9L conversion, AFM PMS
Green9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2002, 09:55 PM   #5
Jeff Chambers

The valve body will really help extend the life of the trans. Its well worth the money. You'll notice greatly improved shift quality, quick and crisp. The shifts are immediate, not lazy like a factory VB. The Street Terminator version would be great for a daily driver with mild to moderate mods. It'll put an end to burning up the OD band. If you're thinking serious mods, I'd go with the Strip Terminator. They bring on two forward clutches to carry the increased HP instead of sending all the power through the small OD shaft. I'm no trans expert, and heaven knows Len's tried to explain it to me many times, but their powerflow is far superior than what you'll find in the OEM or most other aftermarked VBs. You can still retain automatic (put it in "D" and go) with the Strip Terminator if you keep the TV cable. I've ditched the TV so that mine is full manual. OD is activated by a separate switch, so you only get it when you want it. No more AOD shuffle! They've got an AODE VB that has the same improvements as the AOD VB. If you call them and explain what you have in mind with the car, they'll recommend the right VB/trans as well as the right stall converter for you.

I've been putting about 385HP (crank) through mine all of last season without any problems whatsoever. At the end of the season, the fluid was as clean as the day I poured it in.

BTW: I saw that polished AOD they've got on the website when we were up there in October. Some CA dude building a show rod had the casing completely polished. Really looked trick.
CRT Performance

"There's nothing boring about a small block automatic shifting gears at 9400 rpm!"
Old 01-27-2002, 01:41 PM   #6
Green9550
Resident Redneck

jeff chambers,

I wouls like to know what you think. On the street my AODE will shift to 2nd and go side ways and third chirps, usually. When I go to the track, and shift to 2nd it hesitates, like it goes into neutral and then shifts and it isn't very hard. It never does that on the street. I don't know whether my tranny is leaving me or not. Tell me what you think.

Do you think it would be wise for me to go ahead and get a Lentech VB and see if it cures my tranny or would it be wise to save up for a whole new tranny? I really don't know what is going on with my tranny, so if anyone has any ideas, please tell me. It would really suck to put heads cam and intake on my car and have my tranny grenade the first time I take it out. Thanks.

-Billy
95' GT: 306, XL Ross Pistons, Ultra Lite H-beam Rods, Forged Scat Crank, 28oz Romac, 28oz JW flexplate, FTI ported RPM II intake, FTI ported AFR 165's, FTI custom cam, 75mm BBK Throttle body, 80mm Pro-M, 4800 PI stall, PA Super Comp AODE, Strange 33 spline race axles, Strange ultra lite spool, Motive lite 4.30's, Strange rear race brakes, Mega bite seniors, double adjustable uppers w/spherical bushings, Racecraft anti-roll bar, LPW rear end girdle, Metco d/s loop, A9L conversion, AFM PMS
Green9550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2002, 09:38 PM   #7
50redvert
Registered Member

i have a AOD not a AODE but i have to manually shift it when i hit 4th and i shift up from 3rd too soon its seems to bog down but if i rap it out a little hight it solves me problems
50redvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2002, 08:03 AM   #8
Jeff Chambers

With the AODE, you may want to look into a Bauminator (sp?) to control your shift points so that you can just put in "D" and go at the track. The Lentech VB will still help pump up the performance and extend the life of the trans, but the Bauminator will help tune the shifting.
CRT Performance