MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 09-22-2001, 10:16 AM   #1
PureStreet
Registered Member

Post Removing Window Tint

Any trick ways to remove window tint from the rear hatch with rear defrost without ruining the defroster lines?

Thanks-
PureStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 11:34 AM   #2
todd95GT
Registered Member

Thumbs down

I haven't found a trick to it; in fact, I've ruined a defogger in the past. I just peeled the tint off of every window except erar, I'll let the shop do that one when they retint it. Good luck.

------------------
Todd
1995 GT/T-5
Pulleys; 65 mm TB; Flowmaster cat-back; Mac off road H-pipe; FMS aluminum driveshaft; short-throw shifter; HD clutch; Cobra R's; Cobra front and wing
todd95GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 11:57 AM   #3
Five0
Registered Member

Take a black plastic garbage bag and cut it open, take a spray bottle and fill it with water and little dish soap and spray the back window (on the inside over the tint) and spread the garbage bag over it and try to get most of the air out and let it sit in the sun for about 30min and re-wet it and let it soak for another 15 to 20 min and peel a corner of the film down and slowly pull it off. It should all come off depending how bad it is. After you get the film off take the soap and water and spray the glue while the window is still hot for best results and use a piece of steel wool, green umbrello pad, sos pad, or something like that and scrub all the glue until all the glue is off the window.

If the glue is hard to get off you might try some 409 or simple green cleaner but that will make it messier.

I have been tinting for about 5 years and that is how we do it; hope this helps.
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 01:46 PM   #4
PureStreet
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply guys. I've tried the garbage bag thing, but after letting it sit in the sun, the garbage bag comes off and the window tint stays on. I'll try a little better job of removing the air bubbles and see what happens.
PureStreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 02:22 PM   #5
Five0
Registered Member

you have to pick at the corner of the tint and pull the tint off.
Make sure the window is hot when you start striping it.

------------------
James Cox
nochevy@hotmail.com
1991 Mustang LX
No good times with 347 stroker yet!
Five0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 02:35 PM   #6
aaa
Registered Member

TAKE A RAZOR BLADE TO A CONER AND PEEL THE TOP EDGE IF YOU HAVE GOOD TINT AND WORK SLOW YOU CAN PULL LARGE AMOUNT OFF AT A TIME. I WORK FROM THE TOP DOWN CHEAP TINT TENDS TO BREAK MORE THIS JUST MEANS ALOT MORE TIME. AFTER YOU REMOVE ALL THE FILM THEN YOU MUST REMOVE THE GLUE I USE GLASS CLEANER IN A CAN MADE BY CAR CHEM. I SOAK THE GLASS AND I MEAN SOAK THE GLASS THEN TAKE PAPER TOWELS AND REMOVE THE GLUE. THE MAIN THING IS DONT USE THE RAZOR BLADE ON THE DEFOSTER GRIDS ANY WHERE ELSE IS FINE PEEL AND PULL I HAVE HAD SOME THAT THE WHOLE GLASS COMES OFF IN ONE PULL, OTHERS INCH BY INCH GOOD LUCK!!!
aaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 03:33 PM   #7
RobertD
Registered Member

If the tint has been on a very long time, there really is no easy way to do it. Just get a razor blade, preferably on a scraper, and get to it. Make sure that you get everything. The tint on my rear window had actually baked onto the defroster lines and I had to scrape some of them off too. Oh well, I don't think I'll ever need it out here!

------------------
Robert
91GT; 88 ASC McLaren #709
RobertD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2001, 03:36 PM   #8
Stang Runner
Registered Member

I used paint thinner work the best for me BUT dont get it on any but the glass!

------------------
14.28@103.0 on a G-Tech Engine: Steal Mounts, Under drive pulleys, K&N, Home ported Lower Intake, No power steering, No A/C
Drive Train: 3.55, World Class T-5,
NOW it is time for Real power STUFF I Have and will put on after I get everthing: Mac cold intake, 70MM TB, Valve covers (COOL ONES)255 Fuel pump NOS Dry 75HP.
Next to get: Rocker Arms,Cam,TFS Heads,Injectors 24,Holley Intake, What might I need???See It at <A HREF="http://www.computerconquest.com" TARGET=_blank>www.computerconq
Stang Runner is offline   Reply With Quote