MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 08-04-2001, 02:07 PM   #1
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Question Question about air movement through the TB and EGR

I have been trying to figure out a vacuum problem ever since I got my car back together and today I just thought of something.

I got a 65mm TB from a guy that needed some work done to it to make it work on my Mustang (it's a 97 Explorer TB so the linkage and TPS mounting location was different). It was also missing the throttle plate (butterfly) so I had to make that as well. I used my stock EGR spacer but I machined it out to match the 65mm TB. I was just thinking about buying a new TB and EGR spacer today and it hit me like a ton of bricks when I remembered machining the EGR spacer. It originally had a taper in it but I machined it straight through so the hole no longer has a taper to it. Did I create my vacuum problem by doing this? Was that taper to help create vacuum?

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 04:34 PM   #2
Capri306

It wouldn't create enough vacuum to be measureable by any means, but it would tend to induce turbulence. I'm not up-to-date on the Exploder intakes and whatnot, but from what you're saying the TB is 65mm and the intake's TB mount is slightly larger, hence the taper. I really don't think that's going to make much of a diff if it's functioning the way I think it is. If somehow during the machining process there was a surface removed required for sealing against the TB, I can see how that would make for a vacuum problem. Just take it apart and look at everything closely, you'll figure it out. Good luck.

------------------
Capri306, Moderator, The Mustang Works Online
1979 Mercury Capri, 5.0L -- C4 -- 2.73
1987 Mustang LX Notch
Capri306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2001, 05:26 PM   #3
2FastLX
The Photoshop Guru

Swapping to an Explorer TB you have to pull the throttle rod (the rod that has the linkage attached to it and goes through the TB to the TPS) out of your stock TB and use it in the Explorer TB. It has to be machined to accept the larger throttle plate and the spot where the TPS sits is too tall so it has to be machined down so the TPS will seat on the end of the throttle rod. The actual body of the TB is pretty much the same.

I am not referring to anything about the intake. I am using the 65mm TB with my stock EGR which was machined out to 65mm to match the air inlet on the TB so there wouldn't be a flange in there to create turbulance.

Thanks for the help BTW.

------------------
Gunning for 12's!

Buy your parts here
ICQ# 42269241
2FastLX is offline   Reply With Quote