MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 10-07-2002, 06:45 PM   #1
Superpromustang
Registered Member

Default question about air filters????????????

I'm running a morose cold air setup on my car. But the filter is so small, does anyone know if the cold air induction is worth the loss of filter size? And will it cut your horsepower down because of the great distance the air has to travel to reach the combusion chamber? I mean the air has to travel about three feet just from the maf to the combustion chambers. any input would be greatly appreciated...............thanks in advance

Kenny
Superpromustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2002, 06:58 PM   #2
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

your cold air induction filter is conical shape right? therefore it sucks in air from all sides, not just through one single side like the stock air filter. also, i am not too familiar with the moroso kit, but there really isnt any way to shorten the distance from the mass air sensor to the engine, so i wouldnt worry about it.
Old 10-07-2002, 07:04 PM   #3
Superpromustang
Registered Member

yea it's semi conical, but really small, would a bigger conical filter that just clamps to the air meter be better, that would shorten the distance of air travel from the filter to the chamber, I realize you can't do anything about the distance from the maf to the chamber, but putting on a conical filter in the stock location?
I guess I'll just have to try it out and see which one makes more power.........................thanks for the input

Kenny
Old 10-07-2002, 07:06 PM   #4
nickj8685
Registered Member

Location: Russellville MO, where men are men and sheep are scared

To tell you the truth, if your cold air kit is just a fender well kit , it won't do much for you anyway. Some people will disagree but Fordmuscle did a 1/4 mile test with a cold air kit and a stock air box with the silencer removed. There was know difference.
nickj8685 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2002, 04:18 PM   #5
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

honestly man, dont bother messing with it, what is there, like a foot between your filter and your mass air? its not worth your time trying to figure out a way to shorten that distance. as far as the filter size goes, im sure your engine isnt starving for air with the small element. what all do you have done to your car anyway? - John
Old 10-09-2002, 06:07 PM   #6
Superpromustang
Registered Member

347 stroker
TFS Track Heat Heads
10.5:1
GT-40 (lower port matched)
24 lb injectors
75mm Pro-M
65mm Throttle Body
electric waterpump/fan
dynomax medium length headers
AOD w/transbrake
aluminum driveshaft
4.10 gears
moser axles 31 spline
moser full spool
8 point cage
FMS subframes
28 X 10.5 MT ET drags
Old 10-10-2002, 11:57 AM   #7
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

Sounds pretty awesome man, hey I noticed you have an AOD. Ive got one as well, are you running an upgraded stock one, or did you buy a whole new one from lentech or something? Im trying to figure out what to do with mine. John
Old 10-10-2002, 01:10 PM   #8
drtbiker
Registered Member

i dont know either i wouldnt mess with the airbox try this next time u go to the track, this is why i am not getting a K&N or cold air intake. You ever take a run check the time of 1/4mile, take the air filter out, shift at the same points check ur times. that is what i did and i noticed i gained a .10 with the air filter out

that is just what happend with me
i made two runs with air filter and two with out
shifting at the same points and gained with out filter
mods: 3:73's, off road h-pipe, b303 cam in gt- 40 motor w/ Power Plus intake, edelbrock 70mm tb & egr spacer, 72mm C&L, bbk long tubes, tremec tranny, centerforce dual friction clutch, upr and lwr CA's 255lph FP and soon more to come.... when i have money again

SOME ADVICE
Don't do burn outs in reverse it is very expensive
New times with dead hook on dr's 13.27@103 with 2.0 60 foots w/100lb system

Fastest time to date: 12.8@113
drtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2002, 02:25 PM   #9
Superpromustang
Registered Member

John, it's just an upgraded stock one w/ 9.5 stallion converter 3800 stall speed............
Old 10-10-2002, 08:12 PM   #10
NotchJohnson
Registered Member

ok sweet, are you running the stock valve body as well? what about a shift kit? how does it come out of the hole? sory for repetitive questions, i just dont find too many people running the slushbox. thanks, john
Old 11-27-2002, 10:45 PM   #11
Superpromustang
Registered Member

John, no I"m running a PA full manual valve body with a transbrake. It comes out the hole like a mad bastard, it's scary, it cuts 1.517 60 foot times with 26X10 MT Drags, I wouldn't run anything but a slushbox
Old 11-28-2002, 12:05 AM   #12
90GT Vert
Registered Member

u got the PA manual valve-body? I was gonna get that but I decided to get auto...mines undergoing surgrey friday, i'm putting a nice hughes lockup stall in it and a PA valvebody
90GT Vert is offline   Reply With Quote