MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 06-08-2001, 02:27 PM   #1
Just me
Registered Member

Post Question about Rockers

Hey all. I know that TFS TW heads are a little noisier than most heads, at least thats what I've been told. My question is how noisy? When my car warms up, the rockers get kinda loud when I rev the motor to 1300 RPM and hold it there. Other than that, they make no noise at idle or at cruising speed.
I adjusted them arccording to spec then cranked them all down an extra quarter turn but they still make noise. I guess its not my lifters or push rods cause I put new ones in aboust a year ago. The lifters are motorsport and the pushrods are hardened. I'm using 20w 50 oil in this 90+ degree Miami weather. Am I using the wrong oil? Or do I have to adjust the rockers all over again? Thanks.
Just me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 02:31 PM   #2
red82gt
Sober voice of Reason

Are you using the TFS rockers? And did you use a pushrod length checker to make sure you have the correct valvetrain geometry? Also do your heads have the bronze valve guides or the older iron ones? In other words, it could be your valve guides.
red82gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2001, 11:21 PM   #3
Just me
Registered Member

I sent my heads to Trick Flow last year to have them redone cause I have the older TW's(I hadn't put them on the car till last year). I complained to Trick Flow over the phone, that my valve guides bit the dust in only a few months on an otherwise stock car. The gentleman I spoke to told me that they were aware of this problem and told me to send the heads to them. They sent me my heads back completely redone. They put new springs, bronze valve guides, and cleaned up every nook and cranny. During the time I was waiting I bought a bunch of new stuff to put on the car. When it came time to descide what pushrods and rockers to use with the cam I wanted, I called up Trick Flow. They specifically told me what to buy, so I bought their hardened pushrods(can't remember the number)and motorsport 1.6 RR.
I'm using this with a Wolverine 1087 cam on a stock 91' 302 block. I'm not blowing any smoke at all and the car pulls hard all the way through its powerband without any problems.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 06-09-2001, 12:16 PM   #4
Just me
Registered Member

Could it be my lifters took a dump? Or does anyone else that have TFS TW'S have the same problem.
Old 06-09-2001, 12:25 PM   #5
jimberg
Registered Member

I have the TFS TWs. I'll listen more closely next time in the car and tell you what I hear. I know I hear the lifters at idle. I have TFS valve covers to clear my rockers, what do you have?

------------------
351W 89 Mustang GT Convertible
jimberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2001, 01:14 PM   #6
Just me
Registered Member

I have the motorsport tall valve covers. They clear no problem. I don't hear the lifters at idle probrably cause of the bumpy cam but. as a mater of fact, I don't hear the lifters or rockers at idle at all. Its when the car warms up after about 5 minutes and rev the car by the manually(intake) and hold it steady at a low RPM, about 1400 or when the cam smooths out. Then it sounds like a couple of rockers are loose. Its not too loud or anything. I always hear them while Im approaching a red light and there is a car next to me. When I'm completely stopped I don't hear them. It seems like when the oil heats up they start ticking.
Old 06-09-2001, 01:20 PM   #7
Just me
Registered Member

Sorry, my grammar and spelling is disasterous today.