MustangWorks.com - The Ford Mustang Power Source!

Go Back   MustangWorks.com : Ford Forums > Mustang & Ford Tech > Windsor Power
Register FAQ Members List Calendar

Notices

Old 05-01-2002, 08:13 AM   #1
mimicons
Registered Member

Unhappy Best TFI Module to buy?

I'm looking for a concensus on who has the best replacement TFI module (cheap is also good). Any help will be appreciated.

It seems like the TFI failure rate is increasing lately, so it must be a warmer weather problem????
mimicons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 08:50 AM   #2
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb TFI module choices

I bought mine from a Ford dealer. Expensive ($90.) compared to the auto parts stores but I assumed the quality would be good and now, Ford is going to reimburse me, anyway.

Fit perfectly, works fine (2 years now). Replaced the original as a safety measure. It had 10 years and almost 100,000 miles trouble-free use. Why wait until it failed - in traffic.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 09:35 AM   #3
whiterod
Registered Member

also see if any autoparts stores carry the ford motorcraft pieces. I worked at o'reilly autoparts while i was in college. We carried the ford motorcraft igntion modules and sold it for a great deal less than the ford dealership right around the corner. For some reason if we were out of the modules we would get them to deliver us some and we sold them for around $45 while they sold them close to $100 or so. just because its an autoparts store doesn't mean they don't carry ford motorcraft parts. you can save alot of money like this. but like mr 5.0 said i would only use a motorcraft piece
GT-40X(58cc)heads, cobra upper&lower, FMS 65mm TB, 75mm Bullet, 24# injectors, 190 lph fuel pump, moroso cold air intake, BBK 1 5/8 equal length headers, flowmaster cat back, 1.7 cobra rockers, crane 2031, T5Z gear box, centerforce dual friction, mcleod bullet proof bellhousing, 3.55 gears, hurst billet shifter with over 193,000 miles. thanks to all who contributed
whiterod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 09:45 AM   #4
Chevyguy
Backyard Mechanic/Chemist

I got the Wells unit from Auto Zone. It's only $29.99 and others have had no troubles with them, I've only had mine on for a month or so. Plus they give you a Lifetime warranty and will test it for you too. AFAICT there are no "real" improvments avail for any aftermarket TFI. There were posts about a 91 5.8 Econoline being better, Auto Zone listed the same part# for both, perhaps a Motorcraft would be different. I thought the entire spark curve was handled by the ECM and the TFI module is just the electronic points!

93 P-71 Vic interceptor Backup car now

90 5.0 LX Notch SOLD

74 Chevy Laguna type S-3 454 under construction
Currently apart undergoing bodywork.
Chevyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 11:16 AM   #5
mimicons
Registered Member

Thanks alot guys! I'll see what I can find out there. By the way, is it necessary to remove the distributor to change out the TFI? Let me know , ok? Thanks again.....
mimicons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 01:12 PM   #6
Mr 5 0
Conservative Individualist

Lightbulb TFI

Quote:
Originally posted by mimicons

By the way, is it necessary to remove the distributor to change out the TFI?
No need to remove the distributor but you will have to turn it a bit. Just mark the original setting so you can get it back with no timing problems.

I used a 'special' wrench my buddy lent me to get the TFI on and off easily. I think you can buy them cheap at the auto parts stores. Ask.
Mr 5 0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2002, 02:39 PM   #7
gtsr515
Registered Member

I work at AZ part time and we test them first, we sell a brand called WELLS, they are 29.99 and I have never got one back.

The only quality issue between other brands is some come with a little heat sink inside some don't, heat is what kills these modules.

I personally would get a brand new MOTORCRAFT unit.